none
DHCP Client and other services will not start with "Access is Denied", SBS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I need get help with SBS 2011 (see below), but I cannot find a Partner Forum for that. What can I do? Can someone move the following to the correct forum?

A customer rebooted their SBS 2011 server this morning, and then no client computers could access it.  The problem seems to be that certain services will not start.  When we try to start them, we get a message box that states that "Windows could not start <the service> on Local Computer.  Error 5: Access is denied.

The System log then has an Event ID: 7023, stating about the same thing.

These services are not starting:  Base Filtering Engine, Dhcp Client, SSDP Discovery, Windows Firewall, Windows Time, Active Directory Certificate, Windows SBS Manager

They Log On As "Local Service"

By searching the web we have found that some have solved this by editing the registry permissions of

HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp   and giving full permissions to Local Service and Network Service. but that has not helped us (we tried applying the permissions to child objects also).  Another recommendation was to do the same for tcpip at the same place in the registry, but that has not helped either.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'd ask in one of the Windows Small Business Server forums.

I will move this to one of them, if you can specify which one looks more likely. (Hint, do you have SBS 2011 or SBS 2011 Essentials?

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My Blog: http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Friday, August 9, 2013 2:38 PM
  • I did not see any Partner forum for Small Business Server, nor for Windows Server.  I do see those in the Public forums, but with those there is not the option of using the tool that collects data from the server and sending it in for analysis.

This is a SBS 2011 server, not Essentials.

My choices for forums were "Academic Initiatives", "Archived Forums", "Corporate Citizenship", "Dynamics", etc.  The closest one was "Windows Home Server", but I knew that wasn't right.
    Friday, August 9, 2013 2:50 PM
  • I received an e-mail asking me to mark the reply from Karl Mitschke as the answer.  Why should I do that?  He gave me no useful information.

I replied to him with information, but he did not ever respond to that.

I still do not know where to post questions for Small Business Server in the Partner Forums (I do not want the Public Forums).

Also, he did not move the post to another forum, as he said he would.

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:04 PM
  • I said I'd move the question if you identified the forum you want it moved to.

As you are asking the question in the public forums, my answer is correct.

If you want it in the partner forums, you will have to find the proper forum without my help, and indeed, without the help of most of the participants here, as I (and they) cannot access the partner forums.

Sorry about that.

You mention that you don't see a partner forum for Small Business Server, so I can still move it within the regular forums, if you decide which one you want.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Monday, August 19, 2013 11:16 PM
  • back in May, in your thread "Remote Desktop stopped working after disabling SSL 2.0 and TLS 1.0", Susan Bradley suggested thee following:

www.sbspartnerforum.info  They redid the forums and it may be harder to find the SBS section.

Did you try her suggestion?

Karl

• Marked as answer by VMCnet1 Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:23 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 11:25 PM
  • In my original reply to you, I stated "This is a SBS 2011 server, not Essentials."

That was a direct reply to your question, yet I never received a response from you, that is why your answer was incomplete.

Anyway, this issue has been solved.  We called "Microsoft Business Critical Phone Support" (free) and a technician made a remote connection to the server.  She did solve the problem, but she was connected to the server for five hours.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Thank you for finding that.  I remember Susan Bradley's response, but I did not realize that she had included a link that took me to the correct forum.  I apologize.

I really cannot understand how I got into the Public forums.  I started in the Partner forums, then I thought I just choose the forum entitled something like "Where is the Forum for ....".

I think that Microsoft purposefully made the process confusing, which frustrates me.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:24 PM
  • In my original reply to you, I stated "This is a SBS 2011 server, not Essentials."

I guess from that I could have inferred that you wanted me to move it to the Small Business Server forum, but we don't move threads unless specifically requested - I am not an SBS user, much less expert, so I have no idea if that is the right forum.

Also, you'd specifically stated that you wanted the question in partner forums and not public forums.

I am glad you have it resolved, however.

Karl

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:28 PM