Changing Domain/Upgrading existing servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'd like some advice on an upcoming IT project we have in the works.

The client project originally was to move their existing physical servers to virtual servers (with more recent OS).

The client came back later saying he also wanted to change the domain as they are re-branding.

With regards to existing domain controller: We originally said we would build out a new virtual machine and promote/transfer DC from existing 2008 physical box.

But I'm uncertain the best way to incorporate the domain change with the current moving of physical servers to virtual (residing on esx host)

What's the best way to go about it?

- Plan to rename domain on existing physical, then transfer to a new virtual server.

Sorry but my knowledge is limited and my original scope was consumable but with domain change I need some more ideas and help.

kind regards,

travis

• Edited by Travis_1983 Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:15 AM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Travis,

It's not a huge environment but there would still be a bit of work to be done.

I would (roughly) do it as follows, given the Domain Controller will be virtual:

1. Set up two new Domain Controllers hosting a new domain/forest (why two DCs?)
    2. Create / migrate user accounts and groups (ADMT could help with this)
    3. Migrate the servers
      there are few things to consider: share their NTFS permissions on the file server (could be nasty if there are many shares with a detailed permission structure), sage server (never migrated such a system so gather more information about how to do it in advance)
    4. Big bang: unjoin and rejoin all the the client computers
    5. Cleanup your old domain

Best,
    Toby

• Marked as answer by Travis_1983 Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Travis,

Could you please give us some more information about the environment we're talking about like:

• How big is the whole environment?
    • How many member server are around (and should be migrated to the new domain)?
    • What happens with the client computers? will they be migrated manually? how many of them are there anyway?
    • Is there an Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, ... Server?

In general: you can build a new domain fully virtual on your esx host but out of a security perspective, virtual Domain Controllers are evil (but supported).

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:36 AM
  • Hi Toby,

How big is the whole environment?

Single domain to be changed.

I count 50+ workstations with unique (user) logins.

How many member server are around (and should be migrated to the new domain)?

1 - Domain Controller (Roles: DNS/File Services/IIS-nothing) - hosts a database application which is to be moved to a dedicated VM.

1 - File Server -> to new virtual server

1 - Dedicated Sage Server -> to new virtual server

(+1 VM for the above database application) -> to new virtual server

No on-premise Exchange. SQL hosted on Sage Server and Domain Controller for their respective applications.

All of the above will reside on an ESX host.

What happens with the client computers? will they be migrated manually? how many of them are there anyway?

Not 100% sure yet but will likely be a manual process carried out by engineers over a weekend.

kind regards,

travis

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:18 PM
  • Hi Travis,

It's not a huge environment but there would still be a bit of work to be done.

I would (roughly) do it as follows, given the Domain Controller will be virtual:

1. Set up two new Domain Controllers hosting a new domain/forest (why two DCs?)
    2. Create / migrate user accounts and groups (ADMT could help with this)
    3. Migrate the servers
      there are few things to consider: share their NTFS permissions on the file server (could be nasty if there are many shares with a detailed permission structure), sage server (never migrated such a system so gather more information about how to do it in advance)
    4. Big bang: unjoin and rejoin all the the client computers
    5. Cleanup your old domain

Best,
    Toby

• Marked as answer by Travis_1983 Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:41 PM