none
"You must add the system state as a member of the protection group separately" RRS feed

• Question

• Hey All!

I am a first time TechNet user and new to System Center, DPM and System Administration. I know this question maybe remedial. Please forgive me, but I cannot seem to find an answer to my question. My question is this why must I also choose system state protection, as an option to back up a folder, wouldn't that be automatic? I ask this question because I am migrating backup jobs from one server to another. After selecting a folder to backup I got the below message.

You have enabled protection of date on the system volume C:\ ____. If you also want to protect the system state of this computer, you must add the system state as a member of the protection group separately. (ID 138)

I know it may seem silly but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Hicks D

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you just want to protect user files, and not any operating system files on C: then you don't need to select systemstate.

DPM does not backup hard linked files and reparse points, and in Windows operating system, there are lots of hard-linked files, so that is why you need to select systemstate if you want to be able to recover the server after a rebuild.  Systemstate will include the hard-linked files.

Unsupported Data Types
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399413.aspx

What is in SystemState backup
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785306(WS.10).aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The popup you receive is just a warning that is telling you that protecting C: or any parts of C: is not going to be adequate if you intend to use the backup of C: to rebuild a server. You must select SystemState to be able to fully protected and recoverable.   This prevents customers from just checking the C: drive for backup and then wondering why restoring all of C: did not get their server back in running order. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:14 PM
  • With this said, if you don't choose to check system state you will be just revodering just files. For example like copying mp3s from one location to the next location, is this correct?
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:15 AM
  • Hi,

If you just want to protect user files, and not any operating system files on C: then you don't need to select systemstate.

DPM does not backup hard linked files and reparse points, and in Windows operating system, there are lots of hard-linked files, so that is why you need to select systemstate if you want to be able to recover the server after a rebuild.  Systemstate will include the hard-linked files.

Unsupported Data Types
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399413.aspx

What is in SystemState backup
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785306(WS.10).aspx

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Mike,

I didn't mean to make you work for them points, but you earned it! Your the Kobe Bryant of the MS DPM forum!

Thank you much Sir!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:50 PM