Vista UPGRADE and F6 Driver RRS feed

• Question

• If you try to use the UPGRADE option from XP or Beta2 to 5536 you are NOT given the option to install the F6 raid driver.  So, the install start ok, expand files ok, but then crashes because Vista can't upgrade the Intel IC7 Raid driver.

But, if you install a CLEAN version, then on the first screen you are given the option to install a driver.  Then, the install completes OK.

You need to see this install driver option during an upgrade.

Better yet, it would be nice if it saw the driver installed in XP or Beta2 and use it, but if not, you really need to be given the option to install an f6 driver.   You should not be forced to do a clean install.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 4:31 AM

All replies

• Can you please post your $windows.~bt\sources\panther\setupact.log?

Thanks,
    Vinnie [MSFT]

Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:18 PM
  • I cant find the file you wanted.

I did find one in v:\windows.old\windows but, I am not able to post it.

This form times out

Saturday, September 2, 2006 12:07 PM
  • When the crash occurs, before any cleanup of files occurs (as in rollback or clicking OK), you should be able to bring up a cmd prompt and find %systemdrive%\$windows.~bt\sources\panther\setupact.log. That's the one I would need. It isn't clear when your error is occurring. Is it after several reboots into the upgrade?

Thanks,
    Vinnie

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 6:13 PM
  • Again, it works if I do a clean install.  It is the upgrade that has the issue.

When you do an clean install, you are given the OPTION to select drivers - much like the F6 option in xp at startup.  At this time, I can select the RAID driver, and all goes well.

BUT, during the UPGRADE option, you don't get the prompt to select the alternate driver.  It start copying files OK.  It then expands the files OK.  Then, at the FIRST restart, you get the first screen where it says Vista setup, and starts the setup, then, gives the error, restarts and rolls back what it did. Vista (or XP) then comes back up.  And that is the first time you get a message saying it could not install. 

Since I then do a clean install, I think the file you asked for got deleted.

Sorry.

But, I clearly think the issue is that during the first reboot and startup, there is NO F6 driver loaded for the Raid controller.  I feel that if I was not using raid, it would not be a problem. 

The UPGRADE option needs to give you the option to load an additional driver. I don't think the upgrade option begans to upgrade drivers, etc until AFTER The first boot - and that is when Vista figures out it does not have a driver the Raid controller.

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 9:55 AM