Systray Icons RRS feed

• General discussion

• While the new version of Windows is undoubtedly great, I am wondering what is the purpose of the new aforementioned feature, if for one I cannot edit the list of application icons related to this particular area of the program, when they may indeed no longer exist.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:25 AM

All replies

• I agree, this has existed in XP,VISTA and now Windows 7. The only way to get rid of them is in the registry. I hope this can be changed in the final.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Thanks

While on the subject of Systray Icons, I was also referring to that new thing in Windows 7 where it "bunches" them together, so besides being able to remove preferences for applications which have long been removed from the system, how about having a way to include hard-links for executables as well?

Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:13 PM
  •  

If you are talking about have the quick launch separate again, these steps are courtesy of Ned Pyle MSFT.

"1. Tight click the taskbar and click Properties.
    2. Drop the 'taskbar buttons' down to 'combine when taskbar is full'
    3. Start GPEDIT.MSC.
    4. Navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar.
    5. Enable Show QuickLaunch on Taskbar.

Now everything is acting like Vista/XP."

Paul

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Hey Paul,

Thanks for that info. really cool. Will now restart :)

As for the "hidden icons" it might seem like a good idea and it is but I straight away got the impression that it's intent has not been fulfilled, in that I cannot use it to start applications and as for 'customize' well there's even things in there I no longer have installed.

Do you know any way to change this

Thank you

Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:23 PM