Random Freezing From Internet Activites RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to track down a strange problem occurring on a Dell Vostro 3750 laptop.  Anytime I happen to have Outlook or an internet browser running the system will randomly lock up or take an excessively long amount of time to respond/process request.  When the issues happen I can get to task manager (everything looks normal - nothing maxed) and end the process.

I am not seeing any events in the Event viewer log files.

The system is running windows 7 professional, 256GB 850 EVO, 16GB RAM, i7 dual core processor.  It was recently install from scratch as the mechanical HD went bad.

Any idea what may be causing this issue or a way I could track down the problem?

Thanks so much!

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:38 AM

Answers

• I have the same kind of setup on one of my laptops and after installing addblock addin for firefox and ie I get same kind of weird freeze. Do you use any addins on your browsers and do you get the same results if you use clean install of chrome?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:19 PM

All replies

• What internet browser are you using and what kind of graphic card do you have?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:11 PM
  • The main browser is Firefox (latest non-beta version) but it also appears to happen in IE.

Graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce GT 525M.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:39 PM
  • I have the same kind of setup on one of my laptops and after installing addblock addin for firefox and ie I get same kind of weird freeze. Do you use any addins on your browsers and do you get the same results if you use clean install of chrome?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:19 PM
  • Hi CoMpUtErGoD20XX,

Did the issue only occur when we open Outlook and surface the Internet with the browser at the same time?

First of all, please ensure the machine has got the latest updates.
    As LomM suggested, we could try to open the browser without add-ons to have a troubleshoot(Run "iexplore.exe /extoff" to open Internet Explorer).
    In addition, we could perform a clean boot to troubleshoot whether it is related to a third party service conflict.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

In addition, please untick the "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" option.

Internet Options\Advanced

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:12 AM
  • I had the same kind of freezing as the OP so doesn't have to be both open at the same time (So both freeze the machine Firefox OR Outlook) My default browser was also Firefox. And the machine would just freeze like this, no indication of hanging program or wait chain. I changed my default browser to clean install of Chrome and the freezing stopped. I didn't debug any further so the problem could have been a) my default browser (Firefox has had troubles with NVidia GT -graphic cards) or the browser plugins(i had at least Ghostery / Adblock + and canvas removal installed on Firefox).
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:23 PM
  • If you can trigger the problem run a WPR trace

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:58 PM
  • Thanks for all the troubleshooting steps.  I will start to work through these when I can get access to the machine again.  Firefox does have Adblocker installed so that could be part of the issue.

I definitely want to install Chrome and see if this gives the same result or see if things improve.

Thanks again for all your help.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:53 PM
  • Hi CoMpUtErGoD20XX,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

If the issue has been resolved by yourself, it would be much appreciated if you would share the troubleshoot experience here and mark the case. It would be much useful for the person who will come across the similar issue in the future.

If the issue was resolved by the replies in this thread, please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:14 AM
  • As of now the issue seems to be resolved.  The final result was disabling the ad blocker.  Thanks!

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:17 AM