Site location being hijacked in Edge and Internet Explorer on Windows 10 machine RRS feed

• Question

• Starting with Windows 8.1 whenever I go to a specific web site (in this case only Newegg) and I drill down to look at a product my website gets hijacked to another website "Pubmatic.com".. with a js extension. It only happens with newegg, and only happens with Microsoft Browsers not Google Chrome. I ran a registry scan to remove references to pubmatic. I ran Malwarebytes and Windows Defender all to no avail.

I've tried to clean out the browsers by clearing cookies and history but pubmatic keeps coming back.

I would appreciate any suggestions

Gerald Fay

Sunday, October 2, 2016 5:22 PM

Answers

• Well this having followed you for so long makes me think it is down to anti-virus software (maybe you install the same each time) or perhaps your ISP blocking something. Dunno just a thought.

As its been happening for so long not sure what could be consistently hijacking you, perhaps try a Defender offline scan. Settings > Update & security > Windows Defender then scroll down and Scan Offline.

Monday, October 3, 2016 5:25 PM

All replies

• Perhaps this is not a hijack, but an error on newegg page that instead of loading the js on the pubmatic site loads as a page location instead.

I had a quick look at the newegg site did work for me on Edge for the little I saw. I could view products viewed the daily offers, so can you elaborate on what product does this or what you look at?

The reason I am thinking this is because http://pubmatic.com/about-us.php appear to be a online marketing company so doubt they would hijack pages.

What version of Windows 10 build are you running? What version of Edge?

Sunday, October 2, 2016 6:15 PM
  • When this first started a couple of years ago the pubmatic web site would offer several alternative sites for purchasing the product I was looking at. It didn't matter which product it could be an SSD drive, an Ethernet network card, a motherboard, memory or any product on the Newegg web site. By removing all references to pubmatic in my registry the "Hijack" just takes me to an empty web site

http://ads.pubmatic.com/AdServer/js/showad.js

Gerald Fay

Monday, October 3, 2016 2:26 AM
  • Well this having followed you for so long makes me think it is down to anti-virus software (maybe you install the same each time) or perhaps your ISP blocking something. Dunno just a thought.

As its been happening for so long not sure what could be consistently hijacking you, perhaps try a Defender offline scan. Settings > Update & security > Windows Defender then scroll down and Scan Offline.

Monday, October 3, 2016 5:25 PM