none
Restoring Actuals RRS feed

• Question

• Project version: Project Server 2010

Yesterday Wednesday August 1 we had a corrupt Project plan on our server (could not open the plan at all) so I restored a version of it from the backups from Monday July 30<sup>th</sup>. My question is if anybody submitted actuals via timesheets in PWA between when the plan version restored and the date/time I restored it (approximately two days) does the actuals still get reported to the project plan or does everyone need to resubmit those time sheets? Also, is there any way to know either way if the actuals are reporting properly or not?

One solution given to me was to open the restored plan, and navigate to the Resource Usage view.  From there, minimize all resources,  Display Act. Work, rather than Work on the right half of the page.  Zoom to display the Act. Work in weeks.  From here, you could visually see which resources have submitted time for that week, and which resources have not (ie, resources with a value of 0 for that week).  From there, send a note out to those selected people and ask them to resubmit.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:38 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply! After many hours of researching all our options we also have decided that we need to manually re-enter all of our resorces timesheets! Unfortunately we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 resources in this one plan! Typically we don't use one plan for each phase of our work. We have 6-7 plans that report up to a "Master" plan, but somebody (who cannot be named) decided that he wanted to try just using one plan this time! With 6-10 different Project Managers and their assistants accessing this plan on a daily basis it's no wonder the plan got currupted. FYI, the cause of the curruptions was a PM didn't have the latest patchs and or MS Hot Fix installed!

• Marked as answer by Mark X Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:47 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:50 PM

All replies

• Mark:  I am up to my eyeballs on just this topic with one of our larger more complex schedules.  We are on Enterprise Server 2010, December 2011 CU, 650 active users in single-entry mode full daily time reporting.  I am using the exact approach you mention of matching raw timesheet data reporting by resource by week with the schedule resource usage actual work by weeks.  In my case it will be more efficient for me to manually sync per the timesheet actuals.

We restored a schedule recently from the archive about a week prior and it appeared that once that particular schedule was opened, synced to protected actuals and published that intervening update transactions were "re-applied" to the schedule.

However, with the schedule I am currently working on, we did a recovery and it appears that some timesheet AW did not get re-applied and I will have to turn off protection of actual work after hours and manually sync the AW in the schedule with AW as reported in timesheets for a few affected resources.  This is affected (afflicted is more accurate) with 5 status managers, all of which maintain their own tasks and assignments in the schedule.  It is a very critical, fast moving project so they tend to, despite our warnings, maintain the schedule with their laptops in wireless mode and inevitably lose connection, leading to server and local check-out and caching problems.  One of the status managers recently had a warning dialog (no screenshot so we are not sure what it was) that had them choose to "overwrite cache" or "overwrite from cache"...the end result being that the schedule was reverted back to a local version a week or weeks back and then saved, but luckily not published, and another status manager caught the problem quickly.  After hours of analysis, we believe now that this sequence happened before, was not detected, and the schedule was published and moved forward.  Therefore we have blocks of missing actual work in the schedule for about 40 resources that I will have to manually resync.  Wouldn't it be nice if the Project PRO, Project tab, Sync to protected actuals really did what it is titled to do.  I spoke with some of the inner-sanctum techs at this spring's MSProject User Conference and it was apparently a known gap.

Friday, August 3, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Thanks for your reply! After many hours of researching all our options we also have decided that we need to manually re-enter all of our resorces timesheets! Unfortunately we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 resources in this one plan! Typically we don't use one plan for each phase of our work. We have 6-7 plans that report up to a "Master" plan, but somebody (who cannot be named) decided that he wanted to try just using one plan this time! With 6-10 different Project Managers and their assistants accessing this plan on a daily basis it's no wonder the plan got currupted. FYI, the cause of the curruptions was a PM didn't have the latest patchs and or MS Hot Fix installed!

• Marked as answer by Mark X Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:47 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Mark:  Glad I gave you some hope or at least sense of common, endurable misery.  Truly wish I could come and help -- I thought truing-up 45 resources was a bit of a challenge bit I can see I was only floating on lake placid...you are facing a churn from a full typhoon. 

If you are interested in a crude little tool I am using to true-up Actual Work between timesheets and schedules, eMail me at alan.decker@us.qbe.com.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:27 PM