none
cant understand GPO loopback process!!

Question

• Hi All

I had some reading on group policy loopback process, and watched a video and I thought I understood it, but when I'm thinking to implement it I'm get confused.

could some one explain for me .

many thanks

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:45 AM

Answers

• Take a look at this article for a simple, graphical explanation of loopback processing.

Gleb.

• Marked as answer by Kardo Aziz Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:56 AM
  • First of all, when  you see LoopBack process enabled think of it like GPO Enforced which overwrite other settings if its in replace mode.

Imagine that you have two organizational Units

ComputersOU------ linked to a GPO1 (this GPO has Computer configuration to create Folder1, and User Configuration to set the wallpaper1 on desktop)

UsersOU-------linked to GPO2 ( his GPO has Computer configuration to create Folder2, and User Configuration to set the wallpaper2 on desktop)

Scenario 1:

Without Loop Back process mode configured.

*If a user inside (UsersOU) logged in to a computer inside (ComputersOU)

-The user will see Folder1 and Background2 when he will login in (( this mean Computer configuration from GPO1 and User Configuration from GPO2) will apply.

*if another user which is not inside the UsersOU logged in to the computer inside the ComputersOU:

-the user will get Folder1 and Background1 ((Computer and Users configuration from GPO1 will apply))

Scenario2:

With loop back process-replace mode enabled.

- the user see Folder1 and Background1 (( this mean GPO1 will overwrite GPO2))

*if another user which is not inside the UsersOU logged in to the computer inside the ComputersOU:

-the user will see Folder1 and Background1 will applied from GPO1

Note that : if loop back process mode enabled on GPO2 which is linked to UsersOU will not have any effects .

Hope this will help.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:08 AM
  • it means that Loopback process mode only works on the GPO which is linked to the OU which contain the computers ....

--for example:

if I configure Guest Account Status from - Computer Configuration half as shown below :

also if I enabled the Loop back process mode In the same GPO  , theoretically it should apply the Guest Status settings... but because the gpo is not linked to the computer GPO , this settings + all settings in the Computer configuration half will not be applied.

hope this clear ...

thanks.

• Marked as answer by Kardo Aziz Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:50 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:49 AM

All replies

• Take a look at this article for a simple, graphical explanation of loopback processing.

Gleb.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:56 AM
  • First of all, when  you see LoopBack process enabled think of it like GPO Enforced which overwrite other settings if its in replace mode.

Imagine that you have two organizational Units

ComputersOU------ linked to a GPO1 (this GPO has Computer configuration to create Folder1, and User Configuration to set the wallpaper1 on desktop)

UsersOU-------linked to GPO2 ( his GPO has Computer configuration to create Folder2, and User Configuration to set the wallpaper2 on desktop)

Scenario 1:

Without Loop Back process mode configured.

-The user will see Folder1 and Background2 when he will login in (( this mean Computer configuration from GPO1 and User Configuration from GPO2) will apply.

-the user will get Folder1 and Background1 ((Computer and Users configuration from GPO1 will apply))

Scenario2:

With loop back process-replace mode enabled.

- the user see Folder1 and Background1 (( this mean GPO1 will overwrite GPO2))

-the user will see Folder1 and Background1 will applied from GPO1

Note that : if loop back process mode enabled on GPO2 which is linked to UsersOU will not have any effects .

Hope this will help.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:08 AM
  • thank you for the reply , what you mean by

regards

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:17 AM
  • it means that Loopback process mode only works on the GPO which is linked to the OU which contain the computers ....

--for example:

if I configure Guest Account Status from - Computer Configuration half as shown below :

also if I enabled the Loop back process mode In the same GPO  , theoretically it should apply the Guest Status settings... but because the gpo is not linked to the computer GPO , this settings + all settings in the Computer configuration half will not be applied.

hope this clear ...

thanks.

• Marked as answer by Kardo Aziz Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:50 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:49 AM
  • thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:50 AM
  • Hi Kardo,

Here are two articles about Loopback process for your reference.

Loopback processing of Group Policy

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/231287

Loopback processing with merge or replace

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782810(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 3:32 AM