none
Firmware options missing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a virtual machine set up on a Windows 2012 datacenter server.  I want to set up a second one.  I created one and made sure that all of the settings were identical to the first one.  But it won't boot -- you get a DOS level boot error when you try.  In the course of troubleshooting this, I discovered that the booting is controlled from the firmware option of settings.  But the settings on my machine don't include firmware

Can someone tell me how to make this option appear?

Saturday, August 10, 2019 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Did you use the original VHDX file to create the second VM? 

In theory, if the VM created and boot correctly, it would has the firmware with its hardware configurations as below.

But I observed that the second one "boot from CD" in your setting of the second. Would you mind please re-checking the configuration and re-creating a new one by using the existing VHDX to boot? First copy the VHDX file to a new location, and then create a new VM using it.

We can refer to this article for this implementation,

http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/imgtovhd/using_a_vhd_with_microsoft_hyper-v_or_virtual_pc.htm

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ArtSnob Monday, August 12, 2019 6:31 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 7:23 AM

All replies

• it won't boot -- you get a DOS level boot error when you try.  

What error? Has an operating system been installed?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, August 10, 2019 4:53 PM
  • Hi.

The screenshot shows an Generation 1 VM. There is no firmware section on a Gen1 VM.

You have to look into the BIOS section for boot controlling options.

Regards
    Olaf

Monday, August 12, 2019 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Did you use the original VHDX file to create the second VM? 

In theory, if the VM created and boot correctly, it would has the firmware with its hardware configurations as below.

But I observed that the second one "boot from CD" in your setting of the second. Would you mind please re-checking the configuration and re-creating a new one by using the existing VHDX to boot? First copy the VHDX file to a new location, and then create a new VM using it.

We can refer to this article for this implementation,

http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/imgtovhd/using_a_vhd_with_microsoft_hyper-v_or_virtual_pc.htm

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ArtSnob Monday, August 12, 2019 6:31 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

As Olaf stated, this looks to me like a Generation 1 Hyper-V virtual machine, they don't have the "Firmware" option under VM settings.

Did you try changing your boot option from CD to IDE under the "BIOS" setting:

To get the "Firmware" option, you will need to create a new Hyper-V virtual machine in the Hyper-V Manager and make sure you select Generation 2:

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, August 12, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Thanks, that was it.  I just had to make a duplicate of the existing VXHD, assign it to the new machine, and I was all set.  

These machines were created with the same Server 12 software as the host.  They are only going to be lightly used as desktops with no need to "serve" anything.  Can you suggest any article on how to configure them as lightly as possible?

Monday, August 12, 2019 6:36 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, I made a duplicate of the current VXHD file and changed the boot option to it.  Everything's fine now.

Monday, August 12, 2019 6:39 PM