Double Shortcut in App-V deployement with SCCM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm deplying many application on SCCM 2012 and all App-V deployment have two Desktop shortcut for users.

This problem concern deployment made on user collections only. And the second icon (inpublic user in fact) appears after few reboot (randomly).

I use SCCM 2012 (so it's not the /global problem) and App-v 4.6 SP1.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:31 AM

Answers

• Are you sure that C:\Users\Default\Desktop is the right path? This is the default user profile which gets copied to the user's profile when they logon for the first time. C:\Users\Public\Desktop sounds more likely to me.

Each App-V package will define locations for shortcuts - are you defining additional shortcut locations in the SCCM package or advertisement?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, November 26, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Hello,

This could happen if you have one (or two) advertisments that both target the computer and the user. As Aaron stated - the shortcuts would then not end-up in c:\users\default\desktop, but in C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

I suggest you reverify your scenario

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Thanks guys, I found the issue and as you have commented. First shortcut was installing to c:\users\default\desktop, the second shortcut was installing to c:\users\<user name>\desktop.

The reason was we are using user device affinity incorrectly. SCCM was installing the application once on the primary device of the user, then SCCM was installing the app-v package again as the user logs in.

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, December 8, 2012 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Any difference between the shortcuts? Such as location, name?

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:50 PM
  • I am having the same issue - SCCM2012 and App-V 4.6 SP1.

Desktop shortcut #1 is within the App-V package, it is installed to C:\Users\Default\Desktop. The users do not have the permission to delete this shortcut as the administrator has ownership of the shortcut file. I checked the file security tab.

Desktop shortcut #2 appears to be generated automatically somehow after the App-V package is installed. It is located at C:\Users\<user name>\Desktop. Users have the permission to delete this shortcut. I also checked the file security tab and the user is the owner.

This is occuring for all of our App-V packages. Am I packaging it in the wrong way? Perhaps I should not create a desktopshortcut in the App-V package? Florent MARTIAL did you fix yours? Thanks v m in advance.

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Are you sure that C:\Users\Default\Desktop is the right path? This is the default user profile which gets copied to the user's profile when they logon for the first time. C:\Users\Public\Desktop sounds more likely to me.

Each App-V package will define locations for shortcuts - are you defining additional shortcut locations in the SCCM package or advertisement?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, November 26, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Hello,

This could happen if you have one (or two) advertisments that both target the computer and the user. As Aaron stated - the shortcuts would then not end-up in c:\users\default\desktop, but in C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

I suggest you reverify your scenario

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Thanks guys, I found the issue and as you have commented. First shortcut was installing to c:\users\default\desktop, the second shortcut was installing to c:\users\<user name>\desktop.

The reason was we are using user device affinity incorrectly. SCCM was installing the application once on the primary device of the user, then SCCM was installing the app-v package again as the user logs in.

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, December 8, 2012 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:49 AM