Windows Remote Desktop Copy and Paste Files? RRS feed

• Question

• Just started using Microsoft remote desktop app on Win10.  I can copy and paste files from my Win10 machine to my VPS running Win10 using a connection with MSTSC, but not with the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client App.  I can't find any settings to enable copy and paste either in the app like MSTSC has init's settings.  Is this simply not available in the app?  Thanks.
    • Edited by Jimbo22222 Friday, October 21, 2016 10:56 PM typo
    Friday, October 21, 2016 10:56 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your help.  Yes, I can successfully use ctrl and C/V to copy and paste text back and forth so that eliminates any keystroke behavior issues.

Upon doing some more research, it seems that the new desktop app allows you to copy and paste text but not files.  I will just continue to use the old desktop app that comes with windows as I use the copy and pasting of files quite regularly.

Thanks, and let me know ifg you hear anything back from the devs.

• Marked as answer by TP []MVP Saturday, August 19, 2017 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

What's the version of your Windows OS and APP version?

Recently, we received some feedback that the shift keystroke, and the left ALT key, and CTRL shortcuts do not work. Is it the same with you?

Microsoft Remote Desktop

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/microsoft-remote-desktop/9wzdncrfj3ps

Please help to confirm and report back.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 7:46 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm using Windows 10 Home fully updated (on local and remote machines), and app version 10.1.893.0

Does the Shift, ALT, and CTRL shortcuts have something to do with pasting files?  I have confirmed that they do in fact work for as intended, but nothing to do with copy and paste.

Thanks,

Jim

• Edited by Jimbo22222 Monday, October 24, 2016 12:14 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 12:14 PM
  • Hi,

Cause sometimes we use CTRL-C/V as copy/paste feature.

I downloaded the Remote Desktop APP from Windows Store and encountered the same situation with you. I will try to confirm this feature with the development team.

As a workaround, you could switch to the Remote Desktop Connections app that comes with Windows.

In the search box on the taskbar, type remote desktop and it will appear in the results, open it and click the show options button, there is an option that is labelled 'local resources' from there you can pass through local drives to the target machine.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:55 AM
  • Thanks for your help.  Yes, I can successfully use ctrl and C/V to copy and paste text back and forth so that eliminates any keystroke behavior issues.

Upon doing some more research, it seems that the new desktop app allows you to copy and paste text but not files.  I will just continue to use the old desktop app that comes with windows as I use the copy and pasting of files quite regularly.

Thanks, and let me know ifg you hear anything back from the devs.

• Marked as answer by TP []MVP Saturday, August 19, 2017 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your current progress.

I will keep you posted if there is any useful information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, October 28, 2016 6:19 AM
  • Any update on this feature?

It's very frustrating to see that the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client App which has been released years ago is still not even having the features of the old "Remote Desktop Connection" app. Moving files around is really a must-have feature for remote desktop.

Best regards,
    Joannes Vermorel

Friday, August 18, 2017 7:52 AM
  • What about formatted text copying?

When I copy a block of formatted text (rtf) from the remote machine (eg from wordpad or visual studio) to the local machine. With the old RDP it works, with the new Microsoft Remote Desktop Client App  and Microsoft Remote Desktop Client App Preview, it just keeps the plain text

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 12:31 PM
  • 10-07-2019

This functionality is not yet available

It is a shame.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 8:21 PM