Can the Content Library folders be moved to a new drive on the Primary Site? RRS feed

• Question

• I made the mistake of not knowing that 2012 will cache all content on the primary site. Now that my drive is hitting the red I need to know if it's possible to move it onto a new drive that I can add?

There are no options after adding the DP role to choose preferred drives. So I'm guessing normally the best thing to do for a DP is to delete the role and then re-add it with the options (also noting using the no_sms_on_drive.sms file). Which would be fine on a server that's just a DP, but what about when it's the Primary Site?

Everything is also distributed on my main DP, so I'm not sure that if I remove the role on the PS it be a problem recreating the content or not.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:28 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately you cannot move the content library after the site is installed with the RTM release. We are working on something internally to mitigate this but the timeline is not yet crisp; we hope to have something published in the next few months.

Thanks,

Bhaskar

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:32 PM
  • There's no way as far as I know. The SDK (which was released yesterday) *might* contain methods to move it.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

All replies

• Unfortunately you cannot move the content library after the site is installed with the RTM release. We are working on something internally to mitigate this but the timeline is not yet crisp; we hope to have something published in the next few months.

Thanks,

Bhaskar

• There's no way as far as I know. The SDK (which was released yesterday) *might* contain methods to move it.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Bummer, well for the time being I am ok. I have the server running as a VM and allocated what space I had left on the host to expand the disk.

I will plan on replacing this site and migrating what I can, separating SQL Server to a faster machine while I am at it.

Thanks for your help BhaskarK and Torsten.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:49 AM
  • Hi Frosty how did you get on with your changes?

I'm in a similar situation, although not hitting red on the drive.

My plan is, although not sure if it's possible, to:

• add a secondary site server with the DP role
    • distribute my current packages to the new DP
    • remove the PS DP from all packages
    • remove and re-add the DP role on the PS to a new drive
    • distribute all packages back to the PS DP
    • remove the secondary site server

Sounds long winded, but so far I don't have a lot of packages so wouldn't be to bad.

Andrew France - http://andrewsprivatecloud.wordpress.com

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:57 PM
  • Use ContentLibraryTransfer.exe which is available CM 2012 SP1 tool kit. More Details HERE 

Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur :: MY Site:  www.AnoopCNair.com :: FaceBook:  ConfigMgr(SCCM) Page :: Linkedin:  Linkedin<

Friday, January 4, 2013 4:11 AM