Windows 7 SP1 Boot Extremely Slow RRS feed

All replies

• Super Andre would want the etl file, not the cab file.  Note that the etl file will have your ip address, unless you're using a router.

Make sure that c:\windows\prefetch\layout.ini exists, or Readyboot will miss all its caches.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Sure, its 94mb though so I uploaded it to my server. Canadian upload is slow, took me 40 minutes.

http://www.ghnz.net/wilson/bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_6.etl

Saturday, April 16, 2011 5:12 AM
  • The link just sends me to a squatting site.  You can also zip the etl file and put it on skydrive.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:26 PM
  • I fixed the link a couple days ago. Can SOMEBODY PLEASE look into this slow boot time?
    Hi.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 6:00 PM
  • You can look at the graph yourself:  'xperf bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_6.etl'  Do you see under ReadyBoot how there's a lot of black?  Maybe you don't have a c:\windows\prefetch\layout.ini yet?  It only gets made when you're idle, or you can run the command:  'start /wait rundll32 advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks'.  This also defrags every file in the resulting layout.ini for boot optimization, although the defragging didn't seem to do anything amazing for me.  Then do the 5 reboot/logins again.

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:36 PM
  • You can look at the graph yourself:  'xperf bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_6.etl'  Do you see under ReadyBoot how there's a lot of black?  Maybe you don't have a c:\windows\prefetch\layout.ini yet?  It only gets made when you're idle, or you can run the command:  'start /wait rundll32 advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks'.  This also defrags every file in the resulting layout.ini for boot optimization, although the defragging didn't seem to do anything amazing for me.  Then do the 5 reboot/logins again.

Nope, still slowly boots. Any other ideas?

Anyway to rebuild the layout.ini file? I see some outdated boot files still in there.
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Just delete it, and run the rundll32 command again.  (Don't you hate it in I.T. when someone says 'just'?)

Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Just delete it, and run the rundll32 command again.  (Don't you hate it in I.T. when someone says 'just'?)

Did that, still doesn't work. I boot in like 2-3 minutes. But it hangs on the windows flag screen for a while then hdd activity starts after 1-2 minutes and then the actual booting process begins, (I believe).

Step by step;
    Press power button
    HP logo
    windows flag screen (flag doesn't appear yet, only "starting windows...." (this lasts for 1-2 minutes)
    hdd indicator starts flashing like mad

2-6 seconds later i notice the flag is animated and everything else is normal.

I just can't figure out why it does nothing for 1-2 minutes. (only happens, on sp1)

Hi.

Sunday, May 8, 2011 5:45 AM
  • Try physically removing all devices possible and see if it boots any faster.

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Nope, didn't work. PLEASE.... WHAT ARE THE OTHER SOLUTIONS?
    Hi.
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 5:08 AM