Primary Site recovered successfully.. But CAS rewriting it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi..

I'm in a weird situation. This morning we found out our primary 1 has lost many desktops(75% of the company systems) from the console(do not know the exact reason yet). So at the end of the day we started recovering the primary 1(site server and data base) with the backups and it was successful.

We were about to say woohoo, lets wrap it up and go home :( ...But

As soon as the primary 1 restored all the data from backup files, CAS started replicating the current data (25% data) making the primary go back to the messed up state. Now, we do not want to recover the CAS and the primary 2 to bring the primary 1 up. 

It will be very helpful to know, if there are any other options left for me to try(before the sun rise).

Any help 

Thanks

Sana

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 10:19 AM

All replies

• Without a lot more information, there's not much that can be done to help you in the forums so you really should open a case with Microsoft Customer Support Services.

I will say that you need to find the root cause of clients "disappearing". It's certainly not simple DB corruption so performing a restore won't help as the deletes happened for a reason which will simply be triggered again or re-replicated from the CAS.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Thanks Jason!!  I do have a case open with Microsoft. But any suggestions or thoughts on this type of issue may help me in resolving this issue faster and point me in right direction as my production environment got affected with this.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:54 PM
  • All kinds of one-off things are possible including someone deleting the resources instead of modifying the membership of a collection or the clients going inactive (once again because of configuration error) and the delete inactive maintenance task kicking in and deleting them.

What happens when you go to one of the clients no longer in the console and run a data discovery cycle? Does it reappear in the console?

What is your heartbeat interval set to?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:44 PM
  • That is so true. 

I'm pretty sure it is not because of any maintenance task. When I run the discovery they appear in console but the user device affinity is gone and if the resource is part of any collection by direct membership, its gone as well.

heartbeat interval set to run every day.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:01 PM
  • Dear Sana ,

Hoping that you have found the root cause and solution for this issue by this time , can I ask you to share some light on this issue .

How about stopping the replication on to that particular primary site from CAS until it is fully recovered?

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 12:12 PM