Print Spooler Hanging System RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When my W2K3 server R2 SP2 (with Terminal Services running) starts, the spoolsv.exe process hits 25% CPU, but no print services are available and other network resources hang (can't even ping the server).  When I kill the process, networking starts working (and I can ping it again), but when I try to RDP into the server all I get is a blue desktop background (no icons or taskbar).

From the console if I restart the Spooler, it jumps back up to 25% CPU and hangs the server again.

There are no error messages in the event viewer.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Problems like this with the print spooler on a TS are almost always related to a faulty print driver.  As a first troubleshooting step, please remove all third-party print drivers that have been installed on the server.  To do this, first use the uninstall program if you have specific print drivers that have it, then open up Printers and Faxes--File--Print Server Properties.  On the Drivers tab, click Remote for each driver until no drivers remain.  If a driver is in use you may need to restart the Print Spooler service, delete auto-created printers, etc., until the driver is not in use.

The other thing I would recommend is to scan your server for viruses.  There are some viruses that install themselves as print monitors, drivers, etc., that hook into the spooler.  You can also use autoruns to check for strange programs running automatically at startup.

Thanks.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rong Chen Thursday, April 1, 2010 7:27 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:58 AM