none
Windows server 2016 on a VHDX Gen1 with IDE boot disk works, but is not allowed?

Question

• Hi,

I would like to clear one thing out, I have In-place Upgraded Windows 2012 R2 to server 2016 on a VHDX Gen1 with IDE boot disk, and I have installed a fresh Windows server 2016 on a VHDX Gen1 with IDE disk. Maybe not the best bot it look like it works. The question is that we have some server 2012 R2 Gen1 VMs with IDE disk. We would like to in-place upgrade them to server 2016. But if you read the specification for server 2016 you can read Windows Server 2016 does not allow ATA/PATA/IDE/EIDE for boot, page, or data drives. Does it works for me because it is Hyper-V VM or it works but not supported?

Storage controller and disk space requirements

Computers that run Windows Server 2016 must include a storage adapter that is compliant with the PCI Express architecture specification. Persistent storage devices on servers classified as hard disk drives must not be PATA. Windows Server 2016 does not allow ATA/PATA/IDE/EIDE for boot, page, or data drives.

Ref:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/sv-se/windows-server/get-started/system-requirements

/SaiTech

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know Windows Server 2016 has no such restrictions, I have been running multiple Windows Server 2016 virtual machines on Generation 1 VMs with IDE controllers without any issues.

Note: Generation 1 virtual machines can only boot from the virtual IDE controller.

Perhaps those system requirements are "physical" based.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations,

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

17 hours 5 minutes ago