none
Investigate a Hyper-V Host Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Today all of the VMs on one of my stand-alone Hyper-V hosts were not responsive but the host itself was OK. After rebooting the host server, all the VMs were back to normal. I checked Windows event logs, under Hyper-V-Hypervisor but couldn't find any related error. How to investigate and get to the root cause of the incident.
    Monday, April 29, 2019 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

>> I checked Windows event logs, under Hyper-V-Hypervisor but couldn't find any related error. 

Please also check the Hyper-V VMMS log and the Hyper-V-Worker log to see if there are something related for us to troubleshooting.

Please understand, it's hard for us to find root cause with limit information.

If the issue occurs again, please try to restart VMMS service and check again.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

• Marked as answer by Raydar12 Wednesday, May 8, 2019 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:49 AM

All replies

• There seems to be a problem with the update on machines that use Secure Boot technology. First we should update the server drivers, Then Follow Step:

1. Turn off the virtual machine (you may have to wait a while while the updates are removed with problems)
    2. In the configuration of the virtual machine, deactivates the Secure Boot
    3. Start the machine and install the updates.
    4. When the updates are installed, turn off the virtual machine and activate the Secure Boot again.
    5. Start the virtual machine

Monday, April 29, 2019 9:07 PM
  • Hi ,

>> I checked Windows event logs, under Hyper-V-Hypervisor but couldn't find any related error. 

Please also check the Hyper-V VMMS log and the Hyper-V-Worker log to see if there are something related for us to troubleshooting.

Please understand, it's hard for us to find root cause with limit information.

If the issue occurs again, please try to restart VMMS service and check again.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

• Marked as answer by Raydar12 Wednesday, May 8, 2019 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:49 AM

Under Hyper-V-VMMS I have one of the following per VM:

1. 'VM-XXXXXX' cannot access the data folder of the virtual machine. (Virtual machine ID XXXX)

Under Hyper-V-Worker I have one of each error per VM:

1. 'VM-XXXXXX' could not create or access saved state file E:\VM-XXXXX\Virtual Machines\XXXXX.vsv. (Virtual machine ID XXXXX)
    2. 'VM-XXXXXX' could not initialize. (Virtual machine ID XXXXX)

Seems like there has been an access issue, but it's doing fine so far. How can I investigate the cause of the errors?

• Edited by Raydar12 Wednesday, May 1, 2019 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 1:02 AM
  • Hi,

From the error above, I could understand that the VMs cannot access the location in E: drive

How is the E drive connected to the Hyper-V host?

Is it a drive within the box or SAN connected through a Fiber?

Any connectivity issues with the drive?

Regards,
    Bala N

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Hi, the E drive is local to the server.
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:35 PM