UAG drops RDP session when activating a configuration RRS feed

• Question

• When I activate an updated UAG configuration, all current RDP sessions hosted by the UAG portal are terminated, which makes it difficult to make UAG config changes during the day, when people are logged on to terminal services offered by UAG.

Could someone please confirm the behaviour of UAG when activation is occuring - do all published apps / sessions get dropped, or is this just an RDP thing? - or is there some config error in my system that might cause RDP sessions to be erroneously dropped when activation ocurrrs.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

I can confirm that when activating the UAG configuration the following happens:

·        UAG sessions are maintained

·        User accessing web apps are not influenced (although if they request a web resource at the very moment the UAG is activated, they might experience a hiccup)

·        SSLVPN tunnels are closed, causing client apps that were using SSLVPN to lose connectivity to their servers. However, since the UAG session is maintained, in a typical scenario end-users can re-launch their tunneled client applications by clicking on the application link on the UAG portal homepage.

HTH,

-Ran

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:45 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

I can confirm that when activating the UAG configuration the following happens:

·        UAG sessions are maintained

·        User accessing web apps are not influenced (although if they request a web resource at the very moment the UAG is activated, they might experience a hiccup)

·        SSLVPN tunnels are closed, causing client apps that were using SSLVPN to lose connectivity to their servers. However, since the UAG session is maintained, in a typical scenario end-users can re-launch their tunneled client applications by clicking on the application link on the UAG portal homepage.

HTH,

-Ran

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:45 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:15 PM
  • Hi Peter,

When using the client tunneling (XP) method the RDS sessions are disconnected on activation. When using the Remote Desktop template sessions keep running.

Alfred

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Thanks, thats a useful clarification. I will test the remote desktop template method of accessing terminal services (I thought these sessions dropped also) - if they do remain up, then there is a case for us removing support for the client tunnelling method, and require all clients to run either Windows 7 or XP with the RDP 7 client installed, which I think would allow everyone to use the Remote Desktop Template.

I'll post my findings.

Thanks 

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:34 PM