none
DPM Export Backups to USB External Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to include offsite backups in my backup plan to USB External disks but I am unsure how to accomplish this task.

Could someone advise on how to achieve this goal ?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For this to work you need to output a recovery of the files as if you are recovering from an off-site backup the DPM server is most likely unavailable.

We do this with a script that outputs the BMR backups of servers in a specific protection group, using the following script.

$restorePath="D:\Backup" #Where you want the backup to go e.g. the USB disk
    $targetServerName="DPMServer" #Name of the server with the USB disk attached
    $pgList = Get-ProtectionGroup -dpmServerName DPMServer | where {$_.FriendlyName -match "Critical Servers Off-Site"} #Gets a list of protected members in the Crtical Servers Off-Site protection group

$DSList = @()
    ForEach ($pg in $pgList)
    {
     $DSList += @(Get-Datasource -protectionGroup $pg)
    }

ForEach ($DS in $DSList)
    {
     #Get the latest recovery point.
     $recoveryPoints = @(Get-RecoveryPoint -datasource $DS | sort -property RepresentedPointInTime -Descending)
      if ($recoveryPoints.Length -eq 0)
      {
        Write-Host "No recovery point available for" $DS.Name -ForeGroundColor Yellow
        Continue
      }
      $latestRecoveryPoint = $recoveryPoints[0]
      $RecoverableItem = Get-RecoverableItem -RecoverableItem $latestRecoveryPoint -BrowseType child | where { $_.UserFriendlyName -eq "Bare Metal Recovery" } #Selects the BMR recovery points
      $rop = New-RecoveryOption -targetServer $targetServerName -recoveryLocation CopyToFolder -SystemProtectionDataSource -TargetLocation $restorePath -RecoveryType Restore
      Recover-RecoverableItem -RecoverableItem $RecoverableItem -recoveryoption $rop
    }

Exit

I cannot take credit for this as I'm sure I got it from the internet, however I have lost the author's name.

We have used this solution for quite some time now ~18 months and done more bare metal recoveries than we'd have liked using the data on the USB disks.

Hope you and others find this helpful,

Allan 

• Proposed as answer by AllanUK Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Matthew Lebrasseur Monday, September 23, 2013 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi

You cannot backup to USB External Disks. Is that what you would like to do? You can also look here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/803182ae-a78e-48d4-a851-c8dfea4240f1/does-dpm-2012-support-usb-backup-media

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:53 PM
  • No I would like to take the backups stored on my ISCSI Nas and transfer it to an External to be taken offsite

How would I be able to accomplish offsite backups?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Hi,

1) Open a ADMINISTRATIVE command prompt.
    2) Run dpmbackup -replicas
    3) Use robocopy and copy the data under the C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy folder to the USB disk.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:40 PM
  • so this makes a link in the ShadowCopy folder to the mounted drive would I copy the drive or everything

I ask cause I can see that I am unable to see anything in the folders and I am asked for permission to navigate the mounted volume

Also how would I recover if my DPM server or NAS blew up ?
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Hi,

Explorer may not let you navigate the folder structure, but you should be able to access it from an administrative command prompt and robocopy it. The only ones that will give you problems are BMR replicas because those are locked down pretty tight.

If you still get access denied using command prompt, or for access to BMR replica this is a workaround.

1)      Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com
    2)      Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)
    3)      Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return:

nt authority\system

4)     You should be able to access the replica from under the ShadowCopy folder now. 

Recovering DPM server
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj244606.aspx

I think you would be better off installing a software based virtual tape library like firestreamer for long term protection and use the USB drive for virtual tape media.  That way if you had to rebuild DPM Server you could more easily recover data back to new replica volumes to re-seed or back to original protected server using tape. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:16 PM
  • I second the need for firestreamer.  If you're already invested in DPM and an ISCSI nas, the $1300 will be worth it.

If I remember correctly, a co-worker of mine has mounted DPM volumes as VHDs and restored data from there.

It's unfortunate that DPM doesn't offer long term protection using disk.  It's time for Microsoft to buy firestreamer!!

Good luck,

Kevin

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:45 PM
  • You could set task scheduler to recover the BMR of the servers you wish to take off site.

For example, if your DPM server backs up the servers at 05:00, set task scheduler to recover those files to a usb drive later on in the day once backups have completed.

There is a powershell script you can run to accomplish this.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

For this to work you need to output a recovery of the files as if you are recovering from an off-site backup the DPM server is most likely unavailable.

We do this with a script that outputs the BMR backups of servers in a specific protection group, using the following script.

$restorePath="D:\Backup" #Where you want the backup to go e.g. the USB disk
    $targetServerName="DPMServer" #Name of the server with the USB disk attached
    $pgList = Get-ProtectionGroup -dpmServerName DPMServer | where {$_.FriendlyName -match "Critical Servers Off-Site"} #Gets a list of protected members in the Crtical Servers Off-Site protection group

$DSList = @()
    ForEach ($pg in $pgList)
    {
     $DSList += @(Get-Datasource -protectionGroup $pg)
    }

ForEach ($DS in $DSList)
    {
     #Get the latest recovery point.
     $recoveryPoints = @(Get-RecoveryPoint -datasource $DS | sort -property RepresentedPointInTime -Descending)
      if ($recoveryPoints.Length -eq 0)
      {
        Write-Host "No recovery point available for" $DS.Name -ForeGroundColor Yellow
        Continue
      }
      $latestRecoveryPoint = $recoveryPoints[0]
      $RecoverableItem = Get-RecoverableItem -RecoverableItem $latestRecoveryPoint -BrowseType child | where { $_.UserFriendlyName -eq "Bare Metal Recovery" } #Selects the BMR recovery points
      $rop = New-RecoveryOption -targetServer $targetServerName -recoveryLocation CopyToFolder -SystemProtectionDataSource -TargetLocation $restorePath -RecoveryType Restore
      Recover-RecoverableItem -RecoverableItem $RecoverableItem -recoveryoption $rop
    }

Exit

I cannot take credit for this as I'm sure I got it from the internet, however I have lost the author's name.

We have used this solution for quite some time now ~18 months and done more bare metal recoveries than we'd have liked using the data on the USB disks.

Hope you and others find this helpful,

Allan 

• Proposed as answer by AllanUK Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Matthew Lebrasseur Monday, September 23, 2013 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Sorry for such a delay,

I am putting this into my lab as we speak and seems to be working quite nicely I am attempting to restore from the files transferred to USB

Thanks

Monday, September 23, 2013 1:59 AM