none
Should I move the CMS for OS upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am in the process of upgrading our Skype for Business Front End pool servers from Windows Server 2012R2 to Windows server 2016. I have created a new FE pool in our environment so that I can change the "Resiliency" backup pool to point from another sites FE pool to our new pool while the old servers are being upgraded, thus maintaining a fail-over relationship between sites. This means that I can also move all current Pool users onto the new pool during the upgrade. 

My question is this: Should I move the CMS to the new pool during the upgrade or just leave it as offline? During this time the current pool that holds the CMS will be offline. Is it safe to have the CMS offline for a day or two if I backup the XDS and LIS databases? 

I will be using this new front end pool as a temporary Failover pool for a number of FE pools tat i will be upgrading. 

Also, the backend databases will not be down during this time. 

Thanks a lot guys. 

J. 

• Edited by Josh.Ads Thursday, December 5, 2019 4:31 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Josh.Ads,

In my understanding, you don’t need to move CMS. You just need to move the users in the previous pool to the new pool in order to remain the users’ access of Skype for Business services.

The process is similar with the In-place upgrade of Skype for Business.

About backup database during the process, it has no impact. Because CMS is hosted on the Backend server.

For more information about upgrading of Skype for Business server, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/upgrade?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:06 AM
  • Hi Josh.Ads,

Is there any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 13, 2019 9:51 AM