Deduplication is grayed out RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to test Deduplication in Server 2012, but it is grayed out in right click menus of the volume. I have Windows Storge Server 2012 Standard insatlled and that is suppose to have Deduplication. In Server Roles, I do see File and Storage Services is installed, so that should provide De-dup. I created a volume D, and when I right click on the volume, Deduplication is grayed out. Anybody knows what is going on?

Regards,

BJ

Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You mentioned File and Storage Services is installed. Please click on the little strangle and check if Data Deduplication is installed under File and iSCSI Services.

And I found a video for detailed steps about Data Deduplication:

Data Deduplication Demo on Windows Server 2012 Beta By Seamus Mc Bride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au1X0bB5hMQ

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bahmanj Monday, September 10, 2012 9:52 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 7:51 AM

All replies

• Is your volume NTFS or ReFS?  I think only NTFS supports deduplication at this time.

Tom

Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:57 PM
  • I have tried both NTFS and ReFS. Both behave the same in this case and Dedup is grayed out. I tried it in WS foundation also, and it does the same. I must be missing something. 

BJ

Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Hi,

You mentioned File and Storage Services is installed. Please click on the little strangle and check if Data Deduplication is installed under File and iSCSI Services.

And I found a video for detailed steps about Data Deduplication:

Data Deduplication Demo on Windows Server 2012 Beta By Seamus Mc Bride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au1X0bB5hMQ

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bahmanj Monday, September 10, 2012 9:52 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 7:51 AM
  • I'm running Storage Server 2012 and don't even have the option to install Data Deduplication. My list under File and iSCSI Services goes from

BranchCache for Network Files to DFS Namespaces.

How did that happen? 

Sunday, September 23, 2012 4:45 PM
  • You must be running WSS 2012 Workgroup. De-dup is not available in WSS-workgroup.

But if you are running WSS-2012-standard, De-dup should be there.

BJ

Sunday, September 23, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Workgroup? Standard? I'm running what's available through my MAPS subscription which now that I look says Workgroup. Errr
    Monday, September 24, 2012 4:56 AM
  • Not sure about your subscription, but when I downloaded the ISO image from my TechNet subscription, I ended up with one DVD and 3 sets of keys. Depending on which key I entered, I would either get WSS-Workgroup, WSS-Standard, WS-2012-Foundation.

BJ

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:25 PM