Disable Shutdown and sleep options without enable log off and switch user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have several computers in our company used by users that shouldn´t can neither shutdown nor sleep the computer. By GPO I have enabled the setting "Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep and Hibernate commands", but doing that, it enables Switch User and Log Off, options that I had already disabled also by GPO.

Does anybody know the way to do that????

Thank you so much !!!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:18 PM

Answers

• This should be by design. Also we cannot remove the whole power button.

I just curious that why you would like to do this. If any user can use this computer, he can also un-do all the changes you made. You may just set password for the administrator user and create limited user account for other accounts. Then you will only need to remove the Shutdown button.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:34 AM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 3:09 AM

All replies

• What are the values of the related policies? Are they still correct?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your answer. In the GPO I have set the following policies:

COMPUTER CONFIGURATION --> System/Logon --> "Hide entry points for Fast User Switching" Enable

USER CONFIGURATION, under "System/Ctrl+Alt+Del Options"  I set enable the following policies : "Remove Change Password", "Remove Lock Computer" and "Remove Log Off". Under "Start Menu and Task Bar" I set enable "Remove Logoff on the Start Menu".

With this configuration, on the shutdown button on the Start Menu it appears all the options (Switch User, Log Off, Lock, Sleep, Shut down and restart) but Switch User, Log Off and Lock are disable, so it´s ok. But when I enable the policie "Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep and Hibernate commands", it disables Sleep, Shutdown and Restart but enables all the options that were disabled (Switch User, Log Off and Lock).

Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:07 AM
  • This should be by design. Also we cannot remove the whole power button.

I just curious that why you would like to do this. If any user can use this computer, he can also un-do all the changes you made. You may just set password for the administrator user and create limited user account for other accounts. Then you will only need to remove the Shutdown button.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:34 AM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 3:09 AM
  •       We have a computer lab that has an application that users must log into to access the desktop.  When they are done they should log out of the application.  Instead of logging out of the application , they are logging off of the computer.  We don't want to to be able to log off of the computer nor shut it down.  

There has to be a way to remove both logoff and shutdown for these users.  If you are saying that there is no way to do this, then I guess we will need to go back to XP.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:33 PM
  • We are also looking for a way to accomplish this. We deploy updates and conduct routine maintenance after-hours, but we cannot get to the machines if the users shut them down before they leave. We need users to be able to restart for troubleshooting purposes, and log-off would also be useful in some situations - but we want to prevent them from shutting down. I've had the same problem in the past with XP, and had to use a very 'hacky' workaround (removed the shutdown AND reboot options, then added a custom shortcut to the menu which pointed to a script that would reboot the machine) - but I'd prefer to avoid this if-possible. I've seen countless requests for this on numerous forums, and it seems like the answer is always "why would you want to do that?", but obviously there are legitimate reasons that people need this functionality so instead of asking "why?" how about trying to help find a solution? I was really hoping that there would be a solution for this in Windows 7 with Server 2008 R2 but so-far none of the recommended solutions have done exactly what we need. We know how to remove the shut down option from the log-in/locked screen, and this helps. And we know how to restrict access to the shut down options by both limiting user permissions and removing the options from the start menu - but this prevents users from restarting as-well which won't work for us. Has anyone ever figured out a way to accomplish this without any 'hacks'? Obviously we can't prevent users from pressing the power button, or pulling the cable - but if we can prevent them from shutting down from within Windows that will be good enough for us. Thanks! [][Q][]
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:54 PM
  • I have just spent 3 days looking for a way to disable that button. I have looked  around on the net and I have tried all the GPOs and registry fixes and more but nothing works, now i have come as far as there is only the option for a logoff and that needs to go to. If you wonder why someone would need this?

Unattended public computers is the answer.

Friday, May 4, 2012 7:22 AM