none
Run Profile Deletion and Speeding up portal access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My FIM 2010 R2 architecture uses 4 servers as follows:

1 x fim server, 1 x fim sql DB (fim service DB), 1 x sync server + fim SQL DB and 1 x SSPR

I have a PowerShell sync scripts running every 5 minutes which take fim portal changes and export those changes to AD.

I've created some PowerShell scripts for removing old run profiles, but am not sure how many run profiles to keep? Reading online I came across one blog post which mentions that Ms recommend no more than 10,000 run profile history entries - about 4 days worth (although I can't find official Ms recommendations).

I'm assuming it's OK, but are there any issues with one script running a run profile at the same time as another script which deletes older run profiles?

On a side note, if anyone has any tips for speeding up fim portal access I'd be glad to hear them - each page in my environment takes about 30 seconds to load, regardless of the number of users connected.

thanks in advance

IT Support/Everything

Sunday, May 4, 2014 9:14 AM

Answers

• On a side note, if anyone has any tips for speeding up fim portal access I'd be glad to hear them - each page in my environment takes about 30 seconds to load, regardless of the number of users connected.

If every page load of the FIM Portal is taking 30 seconds, something is broken in your environment. I get better performance than that running an entire test FIM configuration in virtualized machines on my laptop (AD, Exchange, FIM Portal/Service/Sync, etc.)

When you first start up the environment and bring up a given page the first time, it can take some time, but once you get to steady state, you should not be seeing delays like that.

Any chance you have an authentication configuration error (Kerberos settings, SPN assignment, DNS settings, etc.) that is causing authentication to time out on each page load?

During that 30 second delay, are any of your servers pegged on CPU or IO?

If this is a virtual environment or if you are using SAN based disk, do you have enough IOPS allocated?

• Marked as answer by Aetius2012 Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:48 PM
    Sunday, May 4, 2014 5:54 PM

All replies

• I'm of the opinion that if you need your previous run profiles for some reason then export them. In the last 5 years of running FIM sync I have only ever needed the last days worth of run profiles. But that's just me. I know you can get the statistics of them with WMI and maybe you could export them to a file if you need to keep them longer, but the shorter the better.
    Sunday, May 4, 2014 5:11 PM
  • On a side note, if anyone has any tips for speeding up fim portal access I'd be glad to hear them - each page in my environment takes about 30 seconds to load, regardless of the number of users connected.

If every page load of the FIM Portal is taking 30 seconds, something is broken in your environment. I get better performance than that running an entire test FIM configuration in virtualized machines on my laptop (AD, Exchange, FIM Portal/Service/Sync, etc.)

When you first start up the environment and bring up a given page the first time, it can take some time, but once you get to steady state, you should not be seeing delays like that.

Any chance you have an authentication configuration error (Kerberos settings, SPN assignment, DNS settings, etc.) that is causing authentication to time out on each page load?

During that 30 second delay, are any of your servers pegged on CPU or IO?

If this is a virtual environment or if you are using SAN based disk, do you have enough IOPS allocated?

• Marked as answer by Aetius2012 Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:48 PM
    Sunday, May 4, 2014 5:54 PM
  • Hi Rex,

I just checked again this morning and the initial page took a while to load, but every page after that loaded within 5 seconds. If there's a Kerberos or DNS issue, surely I'd get a page timeout as opposed to a slow loading page? I'm using VMs, CPU is barely hitting the sides (around 3%) and memory is fine. Will keep an eye on it..

IT Support/Everything

• Marked as answer by Aetius2012 Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Aetius2012 Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:37 AM