none
Not all servers protected by Primary show up when listing protected servers on the Secondary (DPM 2016 5.0.409.0) RRS feed

• Question

• We're experiencing an issue where a DPM 2016 server that is configured/used as for secondary protection is not enumerating/showing some of the servers that are actively being protected on the primary.

When setting up a new protection group on the secondary server (SERVER-B), clicking through to the primary DPM server (SERVER-A), expanding "Protected Servers" a list is created/shown, but it contains only some of the servers that the primary (SERVER-A) protects.

In this case, one of note that is missing is nothing special, just a regular Server 2012 File Server.

I've refreshed the cache view many times, but the list isn't updating.

I've verified connectivity to the Secondary Server (SERVER-B) from the Primary (SERVER-A) - and vice versa. There are plenty of Primary/Secondary jobs and protected servers working.

Is there a way to validate/test/clear/see why it might not be listing the new server that is being protected by the primary in the "Protected Servers" list when viewed on the secondary server?

Any help appreciated!

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The problem is that if you add a secondary DPM server, it will not find the current protection groups from the primary DPM server.

First you need to make sure that the primary DPM server is added to the secondary DPM server (under Management) and same the other way around, secondary DPM server added to the primary DPM server.

What you will then need to do is to "Stop Protection Group" (with retain data) and recreate the protection groups on your primary DPM server, your secondary DPM server was added later which means it won't be able to identify the current protection groups, only new protection groups.

Best regards,

Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Matej Klemencic Tuesday, July 2, 2019 11:20 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by vpwsysuk Tuesday, July 2, 2019 1:45 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking to see if you have any update?

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:15 AM
  • Hi Leon,

I don't believe that your proposed solution is in any way a solution to this issue.

The Primary and Secondary servers both happily accept new servers whenever they're created as general rule, and nothing is needed other than once the new server is on the primary and backing up, going onto the secondary, refreshing the protected server list under the primary server entry, and selecting the new server.

99% of the time that is fine.

It doesn't work sometimes - hence the post, but re-creating the Protection Group on the Primary has absolutely no impact whatsoever.

I think you've somehow mis-read my post because you're suggesting in the second paragraph I need to make sure the Primary and Secondary both see each other in Management, they do and have done for a long time, I have loads of secondary backups from the primary already working.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 1:48 PM
  • Have a look at the DPM logs to see if any errors/warnings occur:

• %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\Temp\MSDPMCurr.errlog

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:03 PM