none
Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service

Question

• I have no idea what happened. I turned on my pc today, finding my taskbar looking like something taken out from windows xp. (im running windows 7 home premium.) I also got this message "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service." I have searched around on the internet for solutions, but I can't find any who worked. Before taking it in to a workshop or reformat it myself, I wanted to hear if any out here had any solutions that might work.

Thanks a lot for every reply (: 

Friday, February 27, 2015 11:44 AM

Answers

• Hi randviii,

Since this error might be caused by a variety of reasons, normally it is hard to identify the root cause without any details. However, some generic methods might fix your issue.

Method1

Check your all drivers are update

Make sure you have not any virus or any Trojan by performing antivirus full scan.

Check this issue under clean boot

There are chances that any third party application or software causing the System event notification service error. You can resolve this issue by performing a clean boot on your system. You can perform clean boot by following Microsoft article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Try uninstalling the Software which you think can cause problem in startup services, especially which has been installed recently.

Method2

Try using last known good configuration

The last known good configuration is actually  settings which works well last time when you have turned off your computer last time. It is just like restoring last well performing configuration.

Follow the step for Using Last known good configuration

Step 1: restart Windows.

Step 2: Press F8 before windows logo appears.

Step 3: Now click on advanced boot option and choose Last known good configuration.

Method 3

Font Cache files.

There are may be chances that you are facing system event notification service error due to cache of font files. You could sort out this problem by renaming the Font cache system files.

Follow the steps below:

Step 1: Type Services.msc in Start menu and hit Enter.

Step 2: Now choose Right pane Standard and scroll down to find Windows font cache service.

Step 3: Now Right click and select Stop.

Step 4: Now in file explorer go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Appdata\Local.

Step 5: There you will find a file Fontcache-Sytem.dat file rename it to Fontcache-System.old and restart your PC.

Method 4

Netsh Winsock Reset method

You can try this many user reports that trying this method has solved their Windows could connect to system event notification service.

1. Start your Computer in Safe mode and log on administrative.

2. Search for CMD.exe in Start and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

3. Now write command netsh winsock reset and hit the Enter.

4. Restart and see if it works.

Method 5

System restore

This will restore you windows to the previous configuration which you have saved earlier as system restore point. Make sure you have created system restore point before going ahead.

Regards

D. Wu

Monday, March 2, 2015 7:07 AM

All replies

• Based on the amount of detail you have provided it is virtually impossible to recommend any solution.

Please read Suggestions for asking a question on help forums and provide the information requested for assistance.

Are you an IT professional?

Also see information @ What to do if Windows won't start correctly. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Edited by Rick Dee Friday, February 27, 2015 12:08 PM add info
    Friday, February 27, 2015 11:58 AM
  • Hi randviii,

Since this error might be caused by a variety of reasons, normally it is hard to identify the root cause without any details. However, some generic methods might fix your issue.

Method1

Check your all drivers are update

Make sure you have not any virus or any Trojan by performing antivirus full scan.

Check this issue under clean boot

There are chances that any third party application or software causing the System event notification service error. You can resolve this issue by performing a clean boot on your system. You can perform clean boot by following Microsoft article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Try uninstalling the Software which you think can cause problem in startup services, especially which has been installed recently.

Method2

Try using last known good configuration

The last known good configuration is actually  settings which works well last time when you have turned off your computer last time. It is just like restoring last well performing configuration.

Follow the step for Using Last known good configuration

Step 1: restart Windows.

Step 2: Press F8 before windows logo appears.

Step 3: Now click on advanced boot option and choose Last known good configuration.

Method 3

Font Cache files.

There are may be chances that you are facing system event notification service error due to cache of font files. You could sort out this problem by renaming the Font cache system files.

Follow the steps below:

Step 1: Type Services.msc in Start menu and hit Enter.

Step 2: Now choose Right pane Standard and scroll down to find Windows font cache service.

Step 3: Now Right click and select Stop.

Step 4: Now in file explorer go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Appdata\Local.

Step 5: There you will find a file Fontcache-Sytem.dat file rename it to Fontcache-System.old and restart your PC.

Method 4

Netsh Winsock Reset method

You can try this many user reports that trying this method has solved their Windows could connect to system event notification service.

1. Start your Computer in Safe mode and log on administrative.

2. Search for CMD.exe in Start and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

3. Now write command netsh winsock reset and hit the Enter.

4. Restart and see if it works.

Method 5

System restore

This will restore you windows to the previous configuration which you have saved earlier as system restore point. Make sure you have created system restore point before going ahead.

Regards

D. Wu

Monday, March 2, 2015 7:07 AM