none
Can't access FIM portal RRS feed

• Question

• So...this morning I went to open FIM portal and within the browser I see a blank page with the tab showing 'Connecting..." and the status bar rapidly blinking through cycles showing Connecting to site...showing a magnifying glass, clock in rapid cycles. It really looks like it is trying and it never throws a failed to load page.  I see flashes of redirects in the status bar too.  The browser title bar states http://fimportal/_layouts/MSILM2/ErrorPage.aspx

Funny, I've never scene any page like this where it seems stuck in a connecting phase without throwing an error on the page.

This has been a very stable environment, so clueless.  I do believe some patches were installed yesterday.  Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

• Edited by Osho27 Friday, January 25, 2013 3:16 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 3:14 PM

Answers

• Osho,

Unless you installed WSS 3.0 in a farm configuration, the DB it is referring to is actually the Windows Internal Database(WID). THis is a version of SQL that is included with Windows 2008 and used for non-farm instances of WSS 3.0(2007) or SharePoint Foundation 2010. Verify on the portal server, assuming this is not a SP farm install, that the WID service is started.............

• Marked as answer by Osho27 Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:28 PM
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 6:16 AM

All replies

• I opened up IIS and tried to browse the sharepoint admin console.  ALl that appears in the page is "Cannot connect to the configuration database."

I am trying to recall, but I believe the configuration database that Sharepoint is refering to an internal database that it uses, not the SQL database it uses for FIM data, correct?

• Edited by Osho27 Friday, January 25, 2013 5:40 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Application error log shows:

Unknown SQL Exception 2 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Our SQL admin stated all is well on their side.  The only change I've made is installing Windows patches yesterday, but the error makes me think the problem is not on the FIM/WSS side. (I'm using WSS3.0)

Thoughts?

• Edited by Osho27 Friday, January 25, 2013 5:05 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Osho,

Unless you installed WSS 3.0 in a farm configuration, the DB it is referring to is actually the Windows Internal Database(WID). THis is a version of SQL that is included with Windows 2008 and used for non-farm instances of WSS 3.0(2007) or SharePoint Foundation 2010. Verify on the portal server, assuming this is not a SP farm install, that the WID service is started.............

• Marked as answer by Osho27 Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:28 PM
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 6:16 AM
  • Glenn, thank you so much!  If we ever run into each other at a conference or something, I'm buying you two of your favorite Belgium beers...
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:29 PM