SharePoint Workflow not Working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a SharePoint list, and have a SharePoint Designer set up to send an e-mail "when a new item is created." I have set up custom permissions so the user can only "Add Items  -  Add items to lists, add documents to document libraries, and add Web discussion comments."

I have found that a user with this permission setup will not trigger the email workflow when the user creates a new list item. If I edit the custom permissions to include "Edit Items  -  Edit items in lists, edit documents in document libraries, edit Web discussion comments in documents, and customize Web Part Pages in document libraries", then the email workflow is triggered.

The issue is that we do not want users to have Edit permission, we just want to give them Add Item permission. Why does the workflow not work when I take away the Edit permission?

Thanks.

• Edited by TheWon Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    In the very initial stage which conditions you have selected on SPD workflow ?
    There is an option in SPD workflow initial stage to trigger the workflow – 
    Select Workflow start option for items in XXXXX:
    And there are three checkboxes under that option
    Check 2nd and 3rd option to trigger workflow when a new item is created and an item is changed
    Please let us know the results after applying above settings

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

To trigger a workflow you need:

-- “Edit Items permissions to start a workflow. “

-- “Some workflows may require that you also have the Manage Lists permission, or another specific permission, to start a workflow on a document or item.”

To resolve the issue you’ve met, please follow the steps:

1.       Create 2 permission levels, one only with “Add Items” included and the other one with both “Add Items” and “Edit Items” permissions.

2.       Give users the Add and Edit items permission to the list first, so the user can trigger workflow.

3.       Create a workflow in SharePoint Designer. In Actions, choose Send an Email, then choose Delete List Item Permission Assignment to delete the user’s permission for this item, then choose Grant Permission on Item to add the custom add-only permission to the user. So the user will only have Add Items permission after creating the item.

Note: the permission management will appear in workflow actions after the Useful SharePoint Designer Custom Workflow Activities installed. You can download it here: http://spdactivities.codeplex.com/releases/view/10103 .

Thanks,
    Emir

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:44 AM
  • Tried it, no good. Thanks for your input.
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Thank you, knowing that users have to have Edit Items permissions was the important part in letting me know that my solution cannot be resolved.

Your solution implies that users can only trigger the workflow once, because you would be removing their Edit permissions permanently.

I find it ridiculous that SharePoint can't have workflows that "automatically start when a new item is created" work, if a user without Edit permissions creates an item. Certainly infuriating to say the least.

• Edited by TheWon Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:12 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:11 PM