locked
WSUS 3.0 SP2 cannot download eula RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have recently created a WSUS 3.0 SP2 ona Win Server 2008 R2 virtual box.  It does not use the proxy and we have Sophos as our AV.  All works well, except for a few updates which require a licence to be agreed to.  It can connect to the MS update server, can download and can install approved updates.  Only a few are problematic.

    I have searched and searched and found lots of threads and comments, but no resolution.

    Monday, August 19, 2013 3:53 PM

Answers

  • The issue appears to have been caused by the location the files were being stored.  The dafault path was not used in the first set up and I set it to store the files on drive E: which worked for the files, but when it came to approving the update WSUS could not find the path to the txt files.  After reinstalling, I allowed all default values (which oddly used drive F: to store the files) and the licences are shown and approved without any problems.

    Thanks all for the advice.  Working well now.

    • Marked as answer by Martin (Rugby) Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:56 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:56 PM

All replies

  • EULAs are delivered as TEXT files during WSUS synchronization events.

    If you're unable to download EULAs, the most likely cause given that you do not use a proxy, is that your Sophos AV is blocking TXT file downloads.

    AV/AM software should be configured to ignore the ~\WSUSContent folder tree on the WSUS server, as well as the ~\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder on the clients.


    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:07 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

    In addition above suggestion, please also try to give full access to Everyone" and "System" of the folder or volume where the WSUS content is stored.

    Regards,

    Yan Li


    Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:17 AM
  • For some reason the server decided to not see itself in MMC.  So I reinstalled it from scratch.  During the reinstall, I changed the default IIS website and this allocated the correct permissions.  So far I have not had any errors.  So it did appear to be permissions.

    That said, it has not fully synchronised even after 6 hours.  I will update here when it finishes and lets me approve the updates.

    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:57 PM
  • The issue appears to have been caused by the location the files were being stored.  The dafault path was not used in the first set up and I set it to store the files on drive E: which worked for the files, but when it came to approving the update WSUS could not find the path to the txt files.  After reinstalling, I allowed all default values (which oddly used drive F: to store the files) and the licences are shown and approved without any problems.

    Thanks all for the advice.  Working well now.

    • Marked as answer by Martin (Rugby) Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:56 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:56 PM