Update Files Not Seen by WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• I have WSUS environment that includes a WSUS server (connected) that downloads WSUS patches from Microsoft and a WSUS server that is in a disconnected environment.  We export the wsuscontent and metadata from the connected server and import to the disconnected server via sneakernet.   The files for the updates are in the database, but all of the current month's updates are stating "The files for the update have not yet been downloaded...".   Again, the files are present on the disconnected server as confirmed by right-clicking on the update and viewing the files.  I confirmed the files are the same size as the connected server.  Permissions are correct on the wsuscontent folder and we are doing the import in the correct order (copy subfolders to wsuscontent, wsusutil to import cab and wait).   Before export, I confirm there are no bits processes running.  I am getting bitsadmin transient errors on the disconnected server.

I've been working on this for several weeks and am ready to re-install wsus on the disconnected server.  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, please reset the BITS download queue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/920649

Then, try to run the command "wsusutilreset" on the disconnected WSUS servertolet the WSUS serverre-scanthe updates file.

Besides, please make sure that the advanced options on the two WSUS servers are matched.

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 1, 2016 8:40 AM
  • OK - I reset the BITS download queue and I'm going to let that run for a while and see if anything changes.  Please clarify "make sure that the advanced options on the two WSUS servers are matched."  There is not an "advanced options" as far as I can tell.  Does that mean all options have to be matched exactly or is there specific options that have to be matched.  Thanks!
    Friday, April 1, 2016 12:38 PM
  • Unfortunately it looks like I need to reload WSUS and re-import the database.  I reset the bits download queue and I did wsusutil reset and let that sit over the weekend.   Now ALL of the updates are showing "have not yet been downloaded..."  Again all of the files are there and if you right click the update then "file information" it shows the files as being present.  My fear is I go through an re-install and the same thing happens.
    Monday, April 4, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

>>Does that mean all options have to be matched exactly or is there specific options that have to be matched.

Sorry about my unclear reply, we should match express file installation and language settings on export and import servers.

>>Now ALL of the updates are showing "have not yet been downloaded..." 

This command will check that every update metadata row in the database has corresponding update files stored in the file system. Normally, we will run the command after a database restore.(Importing).

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720466(v=ws.10).aspx

Please try to re-index the SUSDB and run server cleanup wizard on the export server. After that, please try to export and import again.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:56 PM
  • Hi Steven, Express File Installation and and Language settings were matched.   I removed/reloaded WSUS on the disconnected server to include removing the database and as I was afraid was going to happen, I have the same issue.  Files are there but WSUS doesn't "see" them.  I verified BITs was not running on the "connected to internet" server when I did the export.  I have compared the file sizes on several different updates on both the connected server and isolated server and they are the same size and name.   I did notice that BITs was running and showing errors on the disconnected server but I figure that is because WSUS doesn't see the updates so it tries to go out and get them.   I really don't know how to proceed.  Nothing is working for me.   Sadly, I have to get this working - we can't use any other product...  Thanks, Ed
    Monday, April 11, 2016 4:40 PM
  • So I've been working on this on and off for almost three months now and no solution.  I've tried the import/export on several different connected/disconnected servers and get the same issue every time.  There must be something I'm doing wrong although I have followed the procedures exactly.  Oh well, you get what you pay for.  I'm going to uninstall on all servers and try to find a product that actually works.  POS!

Monday, May 16, 2016 7:20 PM