none
Resource Allocation and Peak Value Impacts to Resource Loading RRS feed

• Question

• I have read and understand why the change was made for displaying the resource allocation of a task, and the new use of the Peak field for 2010.  My concern is when using the resource leveling tool and how it will recognize the resource allocation on the tasks.

For example, on a particular fixed work task, let's say I have a resource 100% applied for 1 day at 8 hours.  I then change the task to be a 2 day task, but maintain that it is still only an 8 hour effort.  The resource allocation stays at 100% (which I understand) and the Peak changes to 50%.  Ultimately, I want to level the resource across the entire project.  When the tool is calculating the resource on my example task, does it see the resource as having 50% availability during the same duration, or does it see the resource as still being 100% applied for the duration and will not allow any other tasks to supplement the resources time during the same duration?

Friday, October 5, 2012 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hi, Shawn.  The peak units figure doesn't affect how leveling works in 2010 vs 2007. It makes it easier to see what's going on.

Basically you've got two units columns you can display in the Resource Usage view - Peak - and Max Units which will be a constant for the resource (unless you use the Resource availability dialog from Resource information to set different unit values for different periods).   Peak units are calculated from the highest daily value of the amount of work assigned compared with the defauly for the project (usually 8 hours). In your example (a fixed work task) you extended the duration and the assigned units went down to 50% - which happened to be the peak for this resource with only 1 task.

Let's suppose there is another 2 day task for the same resource - at the same time as Task 1. Take 3 cases:

• On task 2, the resource is assigned 100%. Peak units for both days is 150%. Leveling will shift one of the tasks later so that they don't overlap. Peak is now 100% - for the Task 2 days. Total duration for the two tasks is 4 days.
      • On Task 2, the resource is assigned 60%. Peak units for both days is 110%. Leveling will shift one of the tasks later so that they don't overlap. Peak is now 60% - for the Task 2 days. Total duration for the two tasks is 4 days.
      • On Task 2, the resource is assigned 40%. Peak units for both days is 90%. Leveling will not shift either task later. Peak stays at 90%. Total duration for the two tasks is still 2 days.

One thing leveling does not do is change the assigned units for a resource on a task. In cases 1 and 2 above, the assigned units will still be 100% and 60% respectively after leveling.

Graham

• Edited by GMcH Friday, October 5, 2012 3:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shawn.Gilbert Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:12 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi, Shawn.  The peak units figure doesn't affect how leveling works in 2010 vs 2007. It makes it easier to see what's going on.

Basically you've got two units columns you can display in the Resource Usage view - Peak - and Max Units which will be a constant for the resource (unless you use the Resource availability dialog from Resource information to set different unit values for different periods).   Peak units are calculated from the highest daily value of the amount of work assigned compared with the defauly for the project (usually 8 hours). In your example (a fixed work task) you extended the duration and the assigned units went down to 50% - which happened to be the peak for this resource with only 1 task.

Let's suppose there is another 2 day task for the same resource - at the same time as Task 1. Take 3 cases:

• On task 2, the resource is assigned 100%. Peak units for both days is 150%. Leveling will shift one of the tasks later so that they don't overlap. Peak is now 100% - for the Task 2 days. Total duration for the two tasks is 4 days.
      • On Task 2, the resource is assigned 60%. Peak units for both days is 110%. Leveling will shift one of the tasks later so that they don't overlap. Peak is now 60% - for the Task 2 days. Total duration for the two tasks is 4 days.
      • On Task 2, the resource is assigned 40%. Peak units for both days is 90%. Leveling will not shift either task later. Peak stays at 90%. Total duration for the two tasks is still 2 days.

One thing leveling does not do is change the assigned units for a resource on a task. In cases 1 and 2 above, the assigned units will still be 100% and 60% respectively after leveling.

Graham

• Edited by GMcH Friday, October 5, 2012 3:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shawn.Gilbert Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:12 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

GMcH's explanation is correct - but still, there is a more easy way to assure you. Project does not level units nor peak- it levels (delays) work volumes.

Greetings,

Friday, October 5, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Thank you for the response.

Shawn

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:12 PM