Cant Restore a MOSS 2007 site collection from a different farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have been trying to restore a site collection from a different farm (production server) to development server and noticed that the site collection cant be restored. The error I get when I restore the sitecollection is:

"The site collection could not be restored. If this problem persists, please make  sure the content databases are available and have sufficient free space."

I am using SQL Server 2008 R2, I was using SQL Server Express edition earlier and some people had casted doubts that the unlicenced version version cannot handle anything beyone 4096 KB. There is ample space in the server and I am totally stumped as to why do I get this error.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:00 PM

Answers

• >I was using SQL Server Express edition earlier and some people had casted doubts that the unlicenced version version cannot >handle anything beyone 4096 KB.

Just to kill this point. The situation with the 2007 SP products is

1. WSS 3.0 using the built-in version of SQL Server Express = No Limit

2. MOSS 2007 using the built-in version of SQL Server Express = 4GB Limit.

3. (The rare occasion of) Using the standard SQL Server Express in connection with either WSS 3.0 or MOSS 2007 = 4GB limit. Note this would only make much sense if you had more than one server and thus wanted the SQL on a different server to WSS 3.0.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Check the patching level. Is it the same on both your environments? Also, check if you have a hard limit set on the content DB. Try creating a new content DB and then restore the site collection to see if it works.

Also, check you temp file location drive and see if the drive has enough space.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:16 PM

All replies

• >I was using SQL Server Express edition earlier and some people had casted doubts that the unlicenced version version cannot >handle anything beyone 4096 KB.

Just to kill this point. The situation with the 2007 SP products is

1. WSS 3.0 using the built-in version of SQL Server Express = No Limit

2. MOSS 2007 using the built-in version of SQL Server Express = 4GB Limit.

3. (The rare occasion of) Using the standard SQL Server Express in connection with either WSS 3.0 or MOSS 2007 = 4GB limit. Note this would only make much sense if you had more than one server and thus wanted the SQL on a different server to WSS 3.0.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Thank you for your clarification Mike, I will keep this in mind the next time. Is there any leads you may give to resolve this problem, people have been giving tons of resolution about this issue but for some reason nothing works. I am stumped.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:47 PM
  • I notice the production server is a 32 bit Windows Server 2003 OS, the destination server is a 64 bit Windows Server 2008 R2. I tried restoring in on a 32 bit Windows Server 2003 OS but had the same issue. I tried detaching and attaching the content databases but nothing good happened..Is this a bug? Do I need to open a ticket with MSFT? 
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Check the patching level. Is it the same on both your environments? Also, check if you have a hard limit set on the content DB. Try creating a new content DB and then restore the site collection to see if it works.

Also, check you temp file location drive and see if the drive has enough space.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:16 PM