none
Disabling Access to Settings through System Tray W10 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day All!

I am hardening a Standard User Profile. I have used GPO to remove access to the Control Panel, Settings from the Start Button, Disable Right clicking on the Start Button, Taskbar and Desktop, removed all programs from the start menu - you get the idea.

Now I have to remove access to settings from the System Tray while leaving access to a specific printer icon in that tray (or on the desktop) and the ability to select a wireless network. Our users need to occasionally fiddle with printer settings. I just don't want to allow access to the rest of Settings or the Control Panel - just disable the whole Systray (again - leaving access to the printer and network).

Any ideas?

Thank You All!

Monday, April 22, 2019 4:56 PM

Answers

• I did not want to block All access to Settings and the Control Panel - just to most of both.

For the Control Panel - I wanted to leave access only to Devices and Printers for Standard Users. I used the following -

In GPO Local Computer\Non-Administrators Policy>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Control Panel>Show only specified Control Panel Items>(Add) Microsoft.DevicesAndPrinters

All items Except Devices and Printers are missing from Control Panel. I can access Devices and Printers from a shortcut on the Start Menu in the Standard User Profile.

There is a way to lock down Settings to show (in this case) only Bluetooth.

In GPO Local Computer\Non-Administrators Policy>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Control Panel>Settings Page Visibility>showonly:bluetooth

In both cases when either the Control Panel or Settings opens up only those two areas show. There is no access to anything else.

Enjoy!

• Marked as answer by RMWilkinson Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Based on your description, please refer to the following link to disable:

https://www.howtogeek.com/75510/beginner-how-to-customize-and-tweak-your-system-tray-icons-in-windows-7/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by hurry yang Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:08 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:07 AM
  • This only removes icons from the Notification Area - it does not prevent access to all other functions of the Control Panel or Settings.

After further research the issue is allowing the ability to access our printer with all abilities in Devices and Printers as if the Control Panel were not locked down at all. Additionally the Network icon needs to be available to connect and disconnect (or reconnect) with a wireless network. The target area is the "Notification Area" (formerly the System Tray - I wish Microsoft would quit renaming things!).

The end result is the inability to access anything in either Settings or Control Panel other than those two items. Additionally this applies only to a Standard User profile - not the Admin Profile.

Thank You!

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

You can disable access to win10 settings and control panel via registry or group policy, please refer to the following link:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-access-settings-app-control-panel-windows-10

However, I'm afraid that you can't finish it other than the two items.

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by hurry yang Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:45 AM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:27 AM
  • I did not want to block All access to Settings and the Control Panel - just to most of both.

For the Control Panel - I wanted to leave access only to Devices and Printers for Standard Users. I used the following -

In GPO Local Computer\Non-Administrators Policy>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Control Panel>Show only specified Control Panel Items>(Add) Microsoft.DevicesAndPrinters

All items Except Devices and Printers are missing from Control Panel. I can access Devices and Printers from a shortcut on the Start Menu in the Standard User Profile.

There is a way to lock down Settings to show (in this case) only Bluetooth.

In GPO Local Computer\Non-Administrators Policy>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Control Panel>Settings Page Visibility>showonly:bluetooth

In both cases when either the Control Panel or Settings opens up only those two areas show. There is no access to anything else.

Enjoy!

• Marked as answer by RMWilkinson Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your sharing.

Wish you a happy life.

Best regards,

Hurry

Thursday, April 25, 2019 1:13 AM