Best way to disable regular Skype and allow only Skype for Business RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I currently have a directive to not allow anyone to use regular Skype and only allow them to use Skype for Business that is licensed with our Office365. I was going to use AppBlocker to do this and just wanted to ask here if anyone had a better solution? Currently at 2008 AD Functional level for GPOs.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:45 PM

All replies

• Try running this to actually remove it.  If this works, then build an SCCM package to run a script that removes from all systems or whatever means you have to mass deploy a script to run on systems.  I would test this on a handful of systems.  It shouldn't impact the skype for business client and only uninstall the one from windows store.

Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers

before

After

Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:01 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Agree with d_allstar12.

Based on my research,  for regular skype, there is no option to restrict it log in .

But regular skype has the privacy setting, please refer to the following document
    https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA140/how-do-i-manage-my-privacy-settings-in-skype-for-windows-desktop

Another document “Restrict Access to Programs with AppLocker in Windows 7

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Alice-Wang Friday, March 9, 2018 2:31 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, March 12, 2018 9:50 AM
    Friday, March 9, 2018 2:28 AM
  • I appreciate both of the responses. We do not use SCCM, but do have something in the environment that should do this.I will give it a shot.

Thanks for the assistance,

Rob Suojanen

Monday, March 12, 2018 12:59 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Did you use Appblocker to restrict the regular skype? Is that work?

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, March 15, 2018 8:46 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 8:06 AM
  • Are there any update about this issue?

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, April 2, 2018 8:21 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 10:28 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update about this issue? If the reply is helpful to you, please mark it as an answer.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Monday, April 2, 2018 8:21 AM