Four different causes of BSOD on Win7-64bit. Any experts out there that can take a look? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello technet gurus

I recently bought some new components and built myself a new computer.  I have been getting occasional, and seemingly random blue screens of death.  Each time has been when I'm playing games (Team Fortress 2 and a Minecraft mod) and most have been whilst I'm recording my play with FRAPS.  It's driving me bananas!  I updated my video drivers, and re-installed all motherboard related drivers, and even switched the hard drive FRAPS runs from.  I got so far as to view my minidump file, but I'm having trouble interpreting the results.  Could one of you masterful MS ninjas take a peek and give me some advice?  Thank you in advance!

Heres a link to my minidump: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ntiaxrrf6c1jkjm/E9YphwZVsB

Heres my system components if it will help:

ASRock Z87 Extreme 4

Intel Haswell 4770k

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Samsung 256GB SSD

16GB Ram

560GB internal HDD

Thanks Again!!!

Monday, March 3, 2014 11:47 PM

Answers

• Telot

These crashes were related to memory corruption (probably caused by a driver). 

Please run this test to find which driver is causing the problem.  

If you are overclocking (pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved. If you don't know what it is you probably are not overclocking.

Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)
    Co-Authored by  JMH3143

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 12:21 AM

All replies

• Telot

These crashes were related to memory corruption (probably caused by a driver). 

Please run this test to find which driver is causing the problem.  

If you are overclocking (pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved. If you don't know what it is you probably are not overclocking.

Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)
    Co-Authored by  JMH3143

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 12:21 AM
  • Thank you Wanikiya and Dyami!  When you say, "these crashes were related to memory corruption" do you mean my actual RAM sticks could be faulty?  Or some driver that interracts with my memory is faulty?  In Device Manager, the only driver I can find that I feel might be related is "Direct Memory access controller" could that be the culprit? 

I visited the wiki page and ran the driver verifier as suggested.  It took over 24 hours, but my system did eventually crash.  BlueScreenView shows it caused by ntoskrnl.exe.  Here is another link to my updated minidump folder.  Any additional assistance you, or anyone could provide would be most appreciated.  Thank you again friends!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0rtxjh0b7ym2b9y/zkYjdXBU8S

Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:50 PM
  • Telot

They could be but 99 times out of 100 it is a driver.  If you want to test your RAM (it is a LONG test) you can also run memtest for 6-8 passes as indicated below

Memtest. (You can read more about running memtest here)

Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:33 PM