gpedit.msc is not working..... RRS feed

• Question

• I just found out I cannot use the gpedit....

when i start, it says, mmc could not create the snap-in...

This problem is soooo aNnOyInG......GuEsT keep changing my setting....

Sunday, May 4, 2008 5:43 PM

Answers

• This may also be a problem with the version of Vista that you have installed.

Neither one of the Home versions (Basic or premium) include the MMC snapins like GPEDIT or SecPol.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message
    so that other members can benefit from the discussion.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Hi,

Do you install Windows server 2003 admin tool on Winodows Vista? If this is the case, You can refer to following KB article (MMC could not create the snap-in ) to create a script to see if it works:

930056 You experience installation errors and compatibility problems when you install Windows Server 2003 management tools on a Windows Vista-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;930056

If this is not the case, it seems the gpedit.dll is corrupted. You can copy gpedit.dll and MMC from other good Windows Vista to %windir%\system32 to see if it works.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you install Windows server 2003 admin tool on Winodows Vista? If this is the case, You can refer to following KB article (MMC could not create the snap-in ) to create a script to see if it works:

930056 You experience installation errors and compatibility problems when you install Windows Server 2003 management tools on a Windows Vista-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;930056

If this is not the case, it seems the gpedit.dll is corrupted. You can copy gpedit.dll and MMC from other good Windows Vista to %windir%\system32 to see if it works.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 9:06 AM
  • This may also be a problem with the version of Vista that you have installed.

Neither one of the Home versions (Basic or premium) include the MMC snapins like GPEDIT or SecPol.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message
    so that other members can benefit from the discussion.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Neither one of the Home versions have gpedit? Well, that explains why I couldn't find it but this is the only place I have seen that information. I have spent hours going through every support module of MS and none of them had that simple statement.

I found a gpedit.dll and my guess was that some program used that dll to change policy on the machine. I am using Vista Home Premium and my question is: Is there a way to set policy on this machine?

Richard
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:19 PM