WSUS Post Install Fails: "Fatal Error: The system cannot find the path specified." RRS feed

• Question

• I had to re-install WSUS 3.0 on our Win2012 Standard server yesterday and I've been trying for over 24 hours to get this done. However, Post Install never completes, stating it cannot find the specified path. The log file states this:

2016-09-20 14:27:08  Postinstall started
    2016-09-20 14:27:08  Detected role services: Api, UI, WidDatabase, Services
    2016-09-20 14:27:08  Start: LoadSettingsFromXml
    2016-09-20 14:27:08  Start: GetConfigValue with filename=UpdateServices-Services.xml item=ContentLocal
    2016-09-20 14:27:08  Config file did not contain a value "ContentLocal"
    2016-09-20 14:27:08  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: A required configuration value was not found in the system. This is usually caused by installing WSUS through PowerShell and not specifying a configuration file. Review the article Managing WSUS Using PowerShell at TechNet Library (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235499) for more information on the recommended steps to perform WSUS installation using PowerShell.
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.GetConfigValue(String filename, String item)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.LoadSettingsFromXml()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

That seems kind of obvious, doesn't it? Just edit the file "UpdateServices-Services.xml" with the correct information, as per many of the posts I have read. However, I have done that MULTIPLE TIMES, and I still get this same error! Here is what I have in my UpdateServices-Services.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><INSTANCE CLASSNAME="ServerComponent_UpdateServices_Services"><PROPERTY NAME="ContentDirectory" TYPE="string"><VALUE>E:\WSUS</VALUE></PROPERTY><PROPERTY NAME="ContentLocal" TYPE="boolean"><VALUE>true</VALUE></PROPERTY></INSTANCE>

I've also tried it with quotes ("E:\WSUS"), trailing slash, double-back slashes. I've also removed WSUS from the server as well as IIS, and re-installed them both, but still getting same error. I really, REALLY need to get this fixed. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Jamen_Vandy,

>I've also removed WSUS from the server as well as IIS, and re-installed them both, but still getting same error.

When you try to re-install WSUS server, we need to confirm the WSUS has been removed completed.

Please check if all things are removed:

1. Remove WSUS role from Server Management console;

2. Remove Content folder;

3. Remove SUSDB and SUSDB_log in C:\Windows\WID\Data, also use SQL server management studio to ensure the SUSDB is actually removed:

4. Remove WSUS IIS site;

After verifying all things are removed, try re-install WSUS role again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 23, 2016 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Jamen_Vandy,

Please check if the following method could be a workaround:

Leave the failed post-installation message alone, then right click the machine to open WSUS console:

Then, it is expected to pop up a post-installation message that ask you to enter the WSUS content folder path, you may enter it, then wait for the post-installation. After that, I can open the WSUS console.

To be honest, I always meet post-installation issue on WSUS 2012 too, and use the above method to work around it. Generally, I would like to install WSUS server on server 2012R2 instead of WSUS 2012.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Anne He - unfortunately, I still get the same error. I just don't get it. Any other ideas or suggestions?
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:38 PM
  • Hi Jamen_Vandy,

>I've also removed WSUS from the server as well as IIS, and re-installed them both, but still getting same error.

When you try to re-install WSUS server, we need to confirm the WSUS has been removed completed.

Please check if all things are removed:

1. Remove WSUS role from Server Management console;

2. Remove Content folder;

3. Remove SUSDB and SUSDB_log in C:\Windows\WID\Data, also use SQL server management studio to ensure the SUSDB is actually removed:

4. Remove WSUS IIS site;

After verifying all things are removed, try re-install WSUS role again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, September 23, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Hi Jamen_Vandy,

Could the above replies be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:46 AM
  • I had to do not only all the steps specified before (remove IIS, WSUS and WID then reintalling them). Also I had to recreate the "Default Web Site" on IIS, only then the Post-Installation task completed successfully.

I wonder if Microsoft does ever test the software they write! This is not the first time I need to manually fix or run steps related with WSUS that should be done automatically by the installer.

Friday, April 28, 2017 1:54 PM