none
Server 2012 Machines Not Auto-Installing Updates or Rebooting from WSUS Policy

Question

• We're experiencing difficulty with WSUS updates on our Server 2012 machines.  There is a group of development servers which are configured with group policy to automatically download updates and install them at a scheduled time.  Then the server is supposed to reboot 15 minutes after the installations are complete.  This goes as expected on Server 2008 machines but not on the 2012 machines.  Here are our GPO settings.

Location of policy settings:
    /Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update/

-Always Automatically Restart at the Scheduled Time: Enabled (option - "15 minutes")
    -Configure Automatic Updates: Enabled (option "auto download and schedule install", "every Wednesday", "5:00AM"
    -Allow Automatic Updates Immediate Installation: Enabled
    -No auto-restart with scheduled installations: Disabled

The servers are in a Windows 2012 domain.  Update kb2885694 is installed on all computers which needed it (this patch adds control of scheduled restarts on 2012 machines).  We have not touched the policy for "Automatic Maintenance Activation Boundary" but it is currently disabled and set to "2000-01-01T03:00:00".  Does this need to be enabled and set to a different time and delay?

When we log into the 2012 machines on Wednesday morning we expect to see that updates have been installed sometime after 5:00AM, followed by an auto reboot.  However, we instead find the patches are waiting for an admin to click OK to install the updates.  Are we missing something or is this some sort of bug that will require a workaround or patch?  Thank you for any help you can provide.  Please let me know if I can provide any clarification.

Ryan
    Thursday, July 07, 2016 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From the registry you have posted, there is no any mistakes about GPO.

Did the time that update is available is missed the time of automatic install?

If yes, I suggest you check if it will automatic install until next Wednesday.

If not, you could try to reset Windows update components follow the instruction below.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

if the problem persists, I suggest you try to post the problem on WSUS forum below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-us/home?forum=winserverwsus

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your post.

However, we instead find the patches are waiting for an admin to click OK to install the updates.   

>>>For the behavior, it seems caused by you have configured the setting “Configure Automatic Updatesto 3 Auto download and notify for install.

First, I suggest you check if you have configured the setting to 3 instead of 4 which you want to select.

If the configuration is correct, you could run gpresult /h C:\gpresult.html to check if the policy has been applied properly.

In addition, you could check the registry relate the configure automatic updates setting. If you have configured the Configure Automatic Updates to 4 Auto download and schedule the install, the value of key of AUoptions should be 4.

The path of the setting: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 08, 2016 2:43 AM
  • Hi Jay,

Thanks for your response.  I've run the gpresult report and checked the registry.  Screen shots are here.  Anything else I can check?

• Edited by oceanhai Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:54 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

From the registry you have posted, there is no any mistakes about GPO.

Did the time that update is available is missed the time of automatic install?

If yes, I suggest you check if it will automatic install until next Wednesday.

If not, you could try to reset Windows update components follow the instruction below.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

if the problem persists, I suggest you try to post the problem on WSUS forum below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-us/home?forum=winserverwsus

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:22 AM