none
Windows Server 2012 R2 - Hyper-V manager and VPN

Question

• Hello, 

I am currently trying to remotely connect to hyper-v on a windows 10 machine. This works fine when I don't have my vpn running, but when I turn it on, I lose access. This is the message I receive:

Hyper-V Error

I looked on various sites, and I believe the answer lies with the credential manager. I tried every naming convention I could think of to get this to work, but no luck. It works fine when I use the "run as" option from the command line, but trying to set it for persistence, fails. If someone can help me with this I would be grateful. Thank you for your time.

Mike

Saturday, April 08, 2017 12:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Dave, 

Thank you for the reply. I tried going into the network settings of the VPN, and still no luck. It is strange, because this only happens with Hyper-V manger. RSAT tools, RDP, and powershell work fine. I found a work around, by re-entering my credentials using runas, I can at least access the snap-in. I made a shortcut using the command from this site

So, it seems to be a credential issue. This is will work, but it would be nice to know how to set it up in the credential manager.

Mike 

Saturday, April 08, 2017 11:09 PM
  • Then that makes sense. Maybe you can recreate the VPN with other credentials.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 09, 2017 12:43 PM

All replies

• Are you connecting to host through VPN or is the host local? If the former there may be some firewall blocking. If the latter it may simply be toggling the setting on VPN "use default gateway on remote network"

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 08, 2017 12:55 AM
  • Hi Dave, 

Thank you for the reply. I tried going into the network settings of the VPN, and still no luck. It is strange, because this only happens with Hyper-V manger. RSAT tools, RDP, and powershell work fine. I found a work around, by re-entering my credentials using runas, I can at least access the snap-in. I made a shortcut using the command from this site

So, it seems to be a credential issue. This is will work, but it would be nice to know how to set it up in the credential manager.

Mike 

Saturday, April 08, 2017 11:09 PM
  • You didn't say if local or VPN but if the latter then it may be the VPN connection uses some other credentials for authentication and makes sense.

Saturday, April 08, 2017 11:18 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Yes, I am trying to connect to the host through the VPN, and I am using a different set of credentials to get on to it. I apologize for not being clear.

Mike

Sunday, April 09, 2017 12:12 PM
  • Then that makes sense. Maybe you can recreate the VPN with other credentials.

Sunday, April 09, 2017 12:43 PM