none
Clear Synchronization Service\ExtensionsCache folder? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Is it okay to clear out the "Synchronization Service\ExtensionsCache" folder?  I just realized that mine has over 100k folders named "Sync Rule Callout{GUID}".  I'm going to run out of GUIDs soon... ;)

Thanks,
    Joe

Friday, March 30, 2012 3:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• After you do it I'd guess you'd want to restart the Sync Engine.

My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
    My Blog - www.briandesmond.com

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:47 PM
  • You should stop the Sync service first, then delete the folder and then restart the service.

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:29 PM
  • So far, so good.  Thanks guys!
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hello everyone,

Is it okay to clear out the "Synchronization Service\ExtensionsCache" folder?  I just realized that mine has over 100k folders named "Sync Rule Callout{GUID}".  I'm going to run out of GUIDs soon... ;)

Thanks,
    Joe

I noticed while performing an upgrade on the Sync Engine from FIM 2010 to R2 that the install was stuck and appeared idle (almost near finished with a blank text status and greyed out Cancel button). Keep in mind this is before the prompt about a long extensive Database upgrade. I thought my installation was broken until I found out that a sub-process MSI installer was crawling through thousands of folders in the ExtensionsCache.

The install guides never mentioned any prep-work needed for clearing these out or the impact they might have for customers upgrading to R2. Is it safe to just delete these as mentioned below?

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Indeed, it is safe to purge them.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 4:02 PM