Vista PC will not stay in 'Sleep' for more than a few seconds RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I put the PC to sleep (HP Vista Home Premium SP1), the screen goes black for a few seconds, then it wakes up again. No applications are running on the desktop (except Sidebar).

Any hints on what can be bringing the system up from its sleep state? 

Thanks

Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:28 AM

All replies

•  

I had a similar issue until I checked the motherboard jumpers.  If you built your own PC then this will be easier, but you should check to see which jumpers control USB devices waking the computer.  If these are set to the wrong setting then the computer wakes up as soon as it goes to sleep, if they are right then a tap on the keyboard should bring it back from dreamland.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:27 AM
  • Join the club.  I have been battling this problem for months, and no solution has been found yet.  
    Monday, December 1, 2008 2:28 AM
  • does anyone knowwhat i can do?
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 2:14 AM
  • @ neroman, and @ james:
    The first thing that I would check on your PCs would be the Wake-on-LAN settings for your network adapters.
    Start > type device manager
    in the Search box, hit <enter> (confirm the UAC prompt if necessary.)
    Expand Network Adapters, and double-click your LAN adapter (NOT your wireless adapter, if installed.)
    Open the Power Management tab, and uncheck  "Allow this device to wake the computer."
    Hit OK, and close Device Manager.
    Reboot the machine, enter BIOS setup (typically, repeatedly (not constantly) hit <F1>, <F2>, or <delete> when the machine is starting up), and look around (I cannot tell you where, exactly, without knowing exactly what make & model of computer (or motherboard) you have) for the WOL settings for your network adapter.  Typically (for most motherboards), this will be located in either Advanced Setup, or Integrated Peripherals.  Change the WOL settings to 'disabled.'
    Save and exit BIOS.

Changing this setting will not have any adverse effect on the system, and cures most instant-wakeup problems.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:16 AM
  • PC will not sleep or hibernate.

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:38 PM
  •  Gene321 wrote:
    PC will not sleep or hibernate.
    OK...
    What happens when you do try to Sleep or Hibernate the machine?
    What kind of PC (make and model; if self-built, full hardware specs) might this be?

Johnny Five needs input!

-Chris

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:28 AM
  • In my case I had a HP Pavillion 6000 with Vista.   It turns out the Video Driver I was using was the problem.  I updated the driver from Intel Web site and now it seems to work ok...
    • Proposed as answer by Neroman Sunday, March 8, 2009 7:20 AM
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:06 AM