After Power Outage - 6 XP Pro SP3 installs Hang on Boot 10-20 Minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Well, just want to be safe, took an image before doing anything. Hangs on MUP.Sys on each. But, then eventually loads. Event logs don't reveal anything.

Ran chkdsk - nothing. Concensus - fix the MBR? If so, bestway to go about?

Any way I can make backup of MBR and try? Funny - all six, same issue. AV? Mmmmm don't reallythink so. Electrical caused something with drive? I do not run into this often if at all. Would love some direction if the community does not mind.

Somewhat urgent - thank you.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:01 PM

All replies

• Well, just want to be safe, took an image before doing anything. Hangs on MUP.Sys on each. But, then eventually loads. Event logs don't reveal anything.

Ran chkdsk - nothing. Concensus - fix the MBR? If so, bestway to go about?

Any way I can make backup of MBR and try? Funny - all six, same issue. AV? Mmmmm don't reallythink so. Electrical caused something with drive? I do not run into this often if at all. Would love some direction if the community does not mind.

Somewhat urgent - thank you.

rightclick my computer>properties>advanced 

under the startup and recovery section,click on settings

under system failure,uncheck the "automatically restart on system failure" click ok,

now if it intends to restart,it wont, it would just show you the error causing it to restart.most likely  in form of a bluescreen, when you see this,tell us what it says there.

but wait...are all d pcs connected to some central UPS or something?

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:54 PM
  • OK - this took about a month with Microsoft to figure out, I am not sure if this fits your situation, but please look:

Symptom:
    We have a XP boot slow issue, which are caused by Default Hive File. We have provided it’s flooded by Intel Services. We have confirmed the relationship between the slow boot and the file size, like below:

80,xxx KB = about a 5 minute boot time
    160,xxx KB = about a 10 minute boot time
    250,xxx KB = about a 15 minute boot time
    390,xxx KB = about a 20 minute boot time

Cause:
    The uns.exe Application (C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe) is using the Windows winhttp.dll digest API and so writing all these empty keys in the registry.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Digest\Hosts\ hive is full with empty keys:

- digest01C70000n1:digest01C70000n1
    - digest01C70000n2:digest01C70000n2
    - digest01C70000n3:digest01C70000n3 ...

We believe UNS.exe is misusing our API so it wrote those junk data into system.

Resolution:

- Backup Registy, delete the HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Digest\Hosts" key in it's entirety.

Also disable any Intel Management Servies running and update the Chipset to the latest driver if required.

Steve.

Steven Colwell

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:27 PM