RDS 2012 R2 High Avaiabilty RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to find what are supported High Avaiabilty Deployment scenarios for RDS on Windows Server 2012 R2.

I have Hyper-V failover cluster for purpose of RD Virtualization Host. Also I have dedicated clustered SQL server.

I plan to create two VMs that will host RDWeb, RD Gateway, RD Connection Broker and RD Licensing Server in active/active NLB cluster. I plan to put these two VMs RD Virtualization Host. Is it supported to put this two VMs on Clustered RD Virtualization Host?

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards

Monday, December 2, 2013 9:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly sorry for late reply.

Additionally let me know, which version of RDP client you are using in your network? I can suggest you to use RDP client 8.0 or 8.1 for better performance.

Have you enabled RD CAP (RD Connection Authorization Policy) properties? You can check the setting for “Enable Session Timeout” and enter the time for which you want to disconnect the users from session. Also there is another 2 options, you can check that “Disconnect Session” Setting is checked & “Silently re-authenticate and reauthorize session” is disabled (unchecked). Please refer below article for more information (you can refer for Server 2012 R2 also).

1.  Windows Server 2012 RD Gateway Deployment 
    2.  Best Practices Analyzer for Remote Desktop Services: Configuration

The logon time for VDI machine depends on various factor, such as CPU, dynamic memory settings, Virtual NICs and which virtual switches they are connected as well as any bandwidth QoS you might want to impose. So please check the appropriate requirement and setting for them to take effect. Refer beneath article sharing with you for additional details.
    Setting up a pooled VDI collection in Windows Server 2012 R2

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Edin,

As per my research, I can suggest you that you can deployment of High Availability is supported for all roles as of server 2012 but still there is no any official document for Server 2012 R2 so you can refer for Server 2012. To understand clearly for RD High Availability option, please go throughthis article.

In addition below articles for more information.

1.  Installing and Configuring RD Connection Broker High Availability in Windows Server 2012
    2.  What’s New in Hyper-V for Windows Server 2012 R2

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by Ryan Mangan Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Thank you  Dharmesh S for answer. I'm in the middle of finding best configuration for my enviroment and I have some more questions.

My enviroment has following layout.

One Hyper-V Failove Cluster

CA Installed with published CRL

Two VMs with dedicated RDCB i HA connected to SQL Cluster

Two VMs that has installed RD Gateway and RD Web Acces. Also i configured Microsoft NLB as Load=Equal, Affinity=Single

I'm experiencing following problems

1. When I restart one RD Gateway/RD Web node, clients disconnect for 30 second and then reconnect. How can I prevent clients to disconnect?

2. Sometimes my VDI machine needs about 10 seconds to logon, and sometimes about 30 seconds, what seems to be wrong? I tried to turn off one of RDGateway/RDWeb nodes. After that my login is always in 10 seconds time.

Do you have any ideas how to correct these errors

Friday, December 6, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly sorry for late reply.

Additionally let me know, which version of RDP client you are using in your network? I can suggest you to use RDP client 8.0 or 8.1 for better performance.

Have you enabled RD CAP (RD Connection Authorization Policy) properties? You can check the setting for “Enable Session Timeout” and enter the time for which you want to disconnect the users from session. Also there is another 2 options, you can check that “Disconnect Session” Setting is checked & “Silently re-authenticate and reauthorize session” is disabled (unchecked). Please refer below article for more information (you can refer for Server 2012 R2 also).

1.  Windows Server 2012 RD Gateway Deployment 
    2.  Best Practices Analyzer for Remote Desktop Services: Configuration

The logon time for VDI machine depends on various factor, such as CPU, dynamic memory settings, Virtual NICs and which virtual switches they are connected as well as any bandwidth QoS you might want to impose. So please check the appropriate requirement and setting for them to take effect. Refer beneath article sharing with you for additional details.
    Setting up a pooled VDI collection in Windows Server 2012 R2

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:47 AM