HDD spining and spinning after 2 power outages RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I was working on my computer when the power went out. When the power came back, my computer was going through the usual repair when improper shut down occurs. Well another power outage occurred while this was going on.

After that I could not get windows to boot, until I used my Norton Internet Security disk, to recover. Took a while but got windows 7 working again.

However now my hard drive keeps spinning and often have to wait a few minutes to get whatever I clicked on to start up.

I tried, with the win 7 disk at the system recovery options to run Command promt, bootrec.exc/FixMbr also ran SFC system file checker, the local disk c properties, ran the tool 'error checking' nothing seems to be happening. Defrag is set to occur automatically once a week.

I originally had win XP then install the upgrade to win 7 home then from system panel I upgraded to win 7 pro. (this was done a year ago)

Another important fact, I can't find any system restore file.

Any advice?  thank you

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:52 AM

Answers

• Have you checked the Windows Event Viewer? Is there more information about the problem?

If there is the Memory.dmp file available after the shutdown, you can find this file in the next location %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP

This file can be analyzed by the WinDBG program.

Download and Install Tools Debugging Tools for Windows

• Proposed as answer by v-Ada Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by pgg02 Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:52 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:08 AM
  • thank you for your help,

am in the event viewer, storage/disk management says my HD is healthy

event viewer/custom views/summary page event: I have 10 lines of critical Kernel-power event id 41 task cat (63)

also event id 7001 Service Control Manager is having issues

even id 1039 MsiInstaller application is also having issues.

It often takes 3 minutes for the HD to do whatever before opening the screen. At this point, I am going to back up my files and do a clean install. I will also get a battery for my UPS which died some time ago, being on a very dependable grid I never bothered replacing it.

I want to thank you again, forums are great, but could not work without great volunteers like you. Keep up the great work.

Pierre

• Unproposed as answer by v-Ada Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by pgg02 Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:51 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:24 PM

All replies

• Have you checked the Windows Event Viewer? Is there more information about the problem?

If there is the Memory.dmp file available after the shutdown, you can find this file in the next location %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP

This file can be analyzed by the WinDBG program.

Download and Install Tools Debugging Tools for Windows

• Marked as answer by pgg02 Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:52 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:08 AM
  • thank you for your help,

am in the event viewer, storage/disk management says my HD is healthy

event viewer/custom views/summary page event: I have 10 lines of critical Kernel-power event id 41 task cat (63)

also event id 7001 Service Control Manager is having issues

even id 1039 MsiInstaller application is also having issues.

It often takes 3 minutes for the HD to do whatever before opening the screen. At this point, I am going to back up my files and do a clean install. I will also get a battery for my UPS which died some time ago, being on a very dependable grid I never bothered replacing it.

I want to thank you again, forums are great, but could not work without great volunteers like you. Keep up the great work.

Pierre

• Unproposed as answer by v-Ada Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by pgg02 Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:51 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:24 PM