none
Search in PDF Files RRS feed

• Question

• We are using MOSS 2007 and we use the document centre very often.

We have integrated a copier (Kyocera digital copier KM-3050) with networkscan  facility. This copier can scan to jpeg, tiff and pdf.

In MOSS 2007 you can search in a word document for words (tags) but we want to search in pdf files too.

I've installed the iFilter from Adobe and copied the icon in the template\images folder. I made the change to the docicon.xml file: 'Mapping Key="pdf" Value="pdficon.gif" and restarted the iis. My MOSS 2007 book says I have to full crawl my search contents but I don't really understand this because out MOSS 2007 is in Dutch language...

I added the .pdf in my searchtypes but I don't get the pdf icon visually in my MOSS 2007.

I hope someone can get me on the right way with this.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:48 AM

Answers

• First of all, You need to do OCR on the PDF files before the PDF ifilter can index the scanned documents from your copier.

Reason: when you scan a document on such copiers it makes an image of it (sort of jpeg in pdf form). A picture cannot be fully crawled.

So you will have to find a way to turn them into text-based pdf's by an OCR program.

If you have made all the registry settings and put the right ico file (needs to be the 16x16 based, not the 32x32 icon) in the directory, it should show up after restarten the office sharepoint search service (osearch). Sometimes you need to restart the frontend for it. Also, make shure you put the icon on every frontend and not only on the indexer.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:25 PM

All replies

• Have you made any of the registry changes that are needed?  Have you enable the pdf file type to be searchable in central admin?  Looks like you have just enabled the icon and installed the ifilter but not actually enabled it for MOSS.  Also, MS recommends that you reupload your PDF files after installing the ifilter. Here is a good posting on it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927675/en-us 

Friday, July 20, 2007 2:41 PM
  • First of all, You need to do OCR on the PDF files before the PDF ifilter can index the scanned documents from your copier.

Reason: when you scan a document on such copiers it makes an image of it (sort of jpeg in pdf form). A picture cannot be fully crawled.

So you will have to find a way to turn them into text-based pdf's by an OCR program.

If you have made all the registry settings and put the right ico file (needs to be the 16x16 based, not the 32x32 icon) in the directory, it should show up after restarten the office sharepoint search service (osearch). Sometimes you need to restart the frontend for it. Also, make shure you put the icon on every frontend and not only on the indexer.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:25 PM
  • If you have not gotten the answer already, in order to search the PDF, you will need to convert it to searchable PDF using OCR technology. Kyocera has an integrated solution called KYOCapture. You can ask them to set you up with that.

Good Luck!!!

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:20 PM