none
Access denied to Sharepoint workspace when I launched Dashboard designer

Answers

• Hello,

Is this the first time you are launching Dashboard Designer?  Here is documentation on what needs to be setup: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff535786.aspx  It sounds like the user that is launching Dashboard Designer does not have at least Designer permissions within SharePoint.

Thanks,

Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Other things that you can check are:

1. Settings of Secure Store in Central Administrator

2. PerformancePoint Services application setting in Central Administrator

Probably you would need an unattended account setup.

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/
    Monday, August 23, 2010 10:18 AM
  • Any authenticated user has the ability to launch Dashboard Designer.

About user permissions for PerformancePoint Services

Based on what you are seeing I would say that it is quite possible that you haven't fully configured the PPS application yet. You need to make sure that the account that is setup to run the Application Pool you setup when creating the PPS web application in Central Administration has access to the SharePoint Content Databases.

Take a look at this article - Deploying PerformancePoint 2010 Soup to Nuts

Particular this portion:

Thus, when it comes time to assign an account to a new web application or other service, you can simply assign the account without having to know the password. Note, however, that if you use a new or existing managed account, you will need to grant that user db_owner privileges on the content database associated with that web application. That can be done either manually (using the UI) or via PowerShell.

Here are the PowerShell commands:

PS> $w = Get-SPWebApplication(“web application name”)
    PS> $w.GrantAccessToProcessIdentity("<domain\user>")

Dan English's BI Blog
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:06 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Is this the first time you are launching Dashboard Designer?  Here is documentation on what needs to be setup: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff535786.aspx  It sounds like the user that is launching Dashboard Designer does not have at least Designer permissions within SharePoint.

Thanks,

Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Other things that you can check are:

1. Settings of Secure Store in Central Administrator

2. PerformancePoint Services application setting in Central Administrator

Probably you would need an unattended account setup.

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/
    Monday, August 23, 2010 10:18 AM
  • I realize this is an old thread, but it was the top hit in Google for me just now as I'm running into a simillar problem despite having Full Control permission to the site/lists.

First off, DD doesn't even ask for credentials when it opens, or provide anything in the options that I can see to specify them.  This is in our sandbox app using the default Business Intellegence Center site template, where only myself and one other (the site owners group) have access.  And, it does load the default lists (Data Connections, PerformancePoint Content) from the site.  So, I have to assume its somehow using my permissions to get that far.

But, when I try to create a new data connection (lets say, from a SharePoint list), I only get as far as the error message "Access denied.  You do not have permissions to connect to the server."  Huh?  If that's the case, how is it finding the lists to begin with?

Second, with respect for Heidi's suggestion, the link provided makes no mention of how or where credentials/permissions are specified in DD.

Could somebody please clarify?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Any authenticated user has the ability to launch Dashboard Designer.

About user permissions for PerformancePoint Services

Based on what you are seeing I would say that it is quite possible that you haven't fully configured the PPS application yet. You need to make sure that the account that is setup to run the Application Pool you setup when creating the PPS web application in Central Administration has access to the SharePoint Content Databases.

Take a look at this article - Deploying PerformancePoint 2010 Soup to Nuts

Particular this portion:

Thus, when it comes time to assign an account to a new web application or other service, you can simply assign the account without having to know the password. Note, however, that if you use a new or existing managed account, you will need to grant that user db_owner privileges on the content database associated with that web application. That can be done either manually (using the UI) or via PowerShell.

Here are the PowerShell commands:

PS> $w = Get-SPWebApplication(“web application name”)
    PS> $w.GrantAccessToProcessIdentity("<domain\user>")

Dan English's BI Blog
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Thanks, we'll give our PPS config another look...

I had found another post later that suggested it might be because DD connects as the computer/user of the client machine (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/173cc6c5-d6ac-4f8a-b6c7-888a6434d6a5), and sure enough I got further using a machine within the same domain as the server, but now I do get error messages suggesting a config problem when I get to setting the authentication for the data connections.

One note about users having access to DD though (expanding from above), with DD installed on my client machine (remote from the server/domain) it will launch, and even detect what's on the target server, without asking for any authentication.  Granted, as it stands now, I then can't actually do anything more than wave at said information from that client, but the fact that I can get that far is a little disturbing.

Edit:  I'd not noticed before, because I'd had a SharePoint session open at the time, but when opening DD from the start menu, IE does pop open to ask for credentials.  So, that mystery is solved.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Hi,

You should login to the same user you want to create a chart, with the same user login to windows
    So
    1.login to Windows with ADuser : domain\user
    2.remove windows credential sharepoint link in section
    Control Panel\User Accounts\Credential Manager
    3.And after logging back to SharePoint Link set 'Remember my credentials' with domain\user

This will easily solve your problem :)

Monday, October 9, 2017 7:46 AM