none
Making Team Members Able to View ALL Projects on Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• A team wants to add  45 additional people with the following Project Online access:

1- View only access – we want them to see the project plans, but not have ability to edit them

2- To see ALL open project plans whether they are actually working on the project or not

Requirement #1 says to me that the new users should be TEAM MEMBERS.  However based on my understanding, a Team Member can only see in the Project Online Project Center the projects, Project Detail, and Project Schedule for the projects that he/she is assigned to.  As a result with the default Project Online categories and TM group permissions, the team member could not see ALL projects across the organization as they want in requirement #2.  The only way to let that happen seems to be to give TEAM MEMBERS not only the MY TASKS category but also the MY ORGANIZATION  category. 

One issue I see with though is that the Team Member would be able to add a task or assignment for themselves on any project not just the projects that they work on. To stop this I would have to deactivate the Create New Task or Assignment permission for Team Members.

The more I think about this, I think TEAM MEMBERs should remain as is and any person needing the ability to see all projects gets the Project Online Professional license.  

Comments? Btw, we are using Project Server Security mode.

Thanks,

John

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:13 PM

Answers

• John,

You are almost there with the security. The way we generally handle is that:

1) Add MY organization Category to the Team Members Group.

2) For MY organization Category, select the following permissions:

View Project Schedule in Project Web App   
    View Project Site   
    View Project Summary in Project Center 

This should give them read-only access on all projects, while giving them edit access on projects they are involved with.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:58 PM

All replies

• John,

You are almost there with the security. The way we generally handle is that:

1) Add MY organization Category to the Team Members Group.

2) For MY organization Category, select the following permissions:

View Project Schedule in Project Web App   
    View Project Site   
    View Project Summary in Project Center 

This should give them read-only access on all projects, while giving them edit access on projects they are involved with.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:58 PM
  • Prasanna,

It works!

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:15 PM