none
Data Protection Manager - LTO Ultrium-3 stand alone tape drive - fast inventory fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been unsuccessful in finding a resolution to my dilemma. One of my DPM servers recently had a LTO Ultrium-2 stand-alone tape drive go bad. I replaced the bad tape drive with an LTO Ultrium-3 stand-alone tape drive and ever since after I swap out the tapes in this drive I have to run a fast inventory followed by a detailed inventory manually. If I fail to do this, when the job/s kick off the fast inventory fails 98% of the time and I receive an alerts stating that the tape drive has the incorrect tape. Then I go in to the DPM admin Console and to run a fast inventory followed by a detailed inventory again and away we go, all the jobs run correctly and in their entirety. I opened up a TAC with HP and sent the diagnostics to them and they stated that the drive was 110%. Where do I go from here? Nothing on the DPM side is out of order that said I am a newbie in the DPM world and kind of lost. Any assistance, would be greatly appreciated.

Server 2003 R2

64x

service pack 2

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

Are you running DPM2010 or DPM 2007? Are you using LTO-2 tapes in the LTO-3 tade drive? Is the tape drive compatible with the LTO-2 tapes ? Have you run HP the HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=406731&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=406729)

You can also update the firmware from this application. Verify that your tape drive can use your old tapes.

Please return with info.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:06 PM
  • DPM 2007 / BN LTO-3 tapes / Latest Firmware

Thank you very much, hope you are having a great day.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:44 PM
  • DPM 2007 / BN LTO-3 tapes / Latest Firmware

Thank you very much, hope you are having a great day.

I think I have the same problem.  I've upgraded from an LTO2 drive not supported by DPM, to an LTO3 drive supported by DPM, which has LTO2 compatability.  I'm using LTO2 tapes.  HP L&TT completes all tests without a problem.

DPM loads the tape to run a backup and reports that the tape is incorectly identified as a cleaning tape, and fails.  It reports this with all media.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Neil,

Your issue is completly different than ours. The resolution for you would be to purchase new LTO3 tapes as LTO2 tapes will not function in the LTO3 drive. have a good day :-)

Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Closing thread with no solution - if you come across one, please let us know.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 12:46 AM