Win8 Start Screen tiles are missing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Win8 64bit hp touchsmart pc. I have been running Win8 for a few months now with ZERO problems until now.  Yesterday Media Center crashed and I lost access to the start screen tiles (they are gone) and the desktop (which I have since gotten to work again). It gave me an error for my video drivers so I downloaded them and installed the new ones but nothing is working. I had to use a laptop and transfer the amd update with a flash drive because I can access the internet thru the desktop (on the computer) but it will not let me download anything. 

My wife has a profile on this computer and when we access hers EVERYTHNG works. 

I also noted that Media Center dumped all the videos libraries and when I try to update the libraries it says there are no files. Strange because I can see the files in Explorer.

The Message Center is also telling me I have to "enter your most recent password" but when I click the button to do that nothing happens.

The computer starts up fine and I can access the side bar on the start screen and everything else but the start screen is empty.

If I right click on the start screen then click on All Apps that screen is empty also.

I downloaded Win8 from Microsoft and dont have a physical disk.

I have also reset the computer back to the way it was a couple days ago but the start screen is still blank.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:04 PM

Answers

• There are two methods that you can try.

One would be to create a new Microsoft account for your computer and login with that.

Another, that would let you keep all of your settings and your existing Microsoft account, would be to do a "Computer Refresh".  This will copy all of your files and settings and all of your "Modern Desktop Windows" programs, and then reinstalls Widows 8 and the Modern Desktop Windows" programs that you installed from the Windows 8 Store. Then it will copy back your files.  It will not reinstall any Desktop programs that you previously installed.

If you were using Windows Live Mail, make sure to backup your mail storage folder first, in case Windows does not copy it. I have not test it to see if it does or not. It does do a good job of copying all of your files, so I would not be surprised if it did copy this as well, but better to play it safe than sorry with things.

To do a Windows Refresh, you will need to be logged in with a local admin user profile, and not with a Standard user profile.

You can click on the Modern Desktop and type: refresh

Make sure to select 'reinstall Windows and save/copy all files'

• Edited by Danny2000 Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, March 25, 2013 9:14 AM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:40 AM