APPCrash: Word and PowerPoint has stopped working error message... RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone figured out what is going on with Vista (I have Ultimate) and Office 2007?  After opening and using and then closing both PowerPoint and Word I get, "PowerPoint or Word has stopped working. Check for a solution (which is useless) and close the program or close the program".

The programs work fine.  It's just upon closing these application that I get these error messages: I've tried reinstall Office Professional 2007 using the repair option but no change.

Here's the event log info. please help:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             WINWORD.EXE

Application Version:                           12.0.6211.1000

Application Timestamp:                    46d4a7df

Fault Module Name:                          StackHash_14c2

Fault Module Version:                        6.0.6001.18000

Fault Module Timestamp:                 4791a7a6

Exception Code:                                  c0000374

Exception Offset:                                000b015d

OS Version:                                          6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  14c2

Additional Information 2:                  992bbf1afc5dab557f3e61d1cb55b041

Additional Information 3:                  b3e7

Additional Information 4:              98c7d734f45ded5bfd00dfbb0319

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Users\Fry's User\AppData\Local\Temp\743484.od

C:\Users\Fry's User\AppData\Local\Temp\CVR582C.tmp.cvr

C:\Users\Fry's User\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC4A2.tmp.version.txt

C:\Users\Fry's User\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA1B5.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\Fry's User\AppData\Local\Temp\WERF6BB.tmp.mdmp

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH  Application Name: POWERPNT.EXE

Application Version:                           12.0.6211.1000

Application Timestamp:                    46d4a83f

Fault Module Name:                          StackHash_14c2

Fault Module Version:                        6.0.6001.18000

Fault Module Timestamp:                 4791a7a6

Exception Code:                                  c0000374

Exception Offset:                                000b015d

OS Version:                                          6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  14c2

Additional Information 2:                  992bbf1afc5dab557f3e61d1cb55b041

Additional Information 3:                  b3e7

Additional Information 4:                  98c7d734f45ded5bfd00dfbb0319c4b0

Saturday, April 12, 2008 7:44 AM

Answers

• My solution was different.  I worked on this problem for three days after upgrading to Vista Business, and finally found my answer on Infosysblogs; if your set your default printer to Windows XPS, Word will open.  Then I removed and added my printer back in.  Apparently Word (and Powerpoint) were looking for my default printer and didn't like the drivers.  Sounds silly, but it worked.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:27 PM

All replies

• I have the identical problem in word with latest vista Home and office 2007 standard. It occurs when closing word with document open.  if doc is closed before closing word, no error occurs.  pls inform us if a fix is found.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:11 AM
  • this also happens to me ever since I upgraded to Vista...
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:11 AM
  • I run Vista Ultimate on two PC's and recently updated to SP1. I am now receiving the error message that "PowerPoint has stopped working" when I close the program. The are no error messages with the other PC which suggests that the problem is not directly related to SP1.

I opened Powerpoint as an Administrator and closed a number of addins which were specific to the problem PC running PowerPoint. They included Send to Bluetooth, Microsoft Live Add-in beta and Google Desktop Office Addin. Removing these add-ins did not solve the problem and I am now awaiting word from Microsoft as to what is causing this bug.

I previously had a problem with Send to Bluetooth with Visio and would be interested to hear from other users as to what add-in they have running?

Cheers

Peter

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:38 AM
  • I made the original post in this thread and I see others are having the same problem. 

Does anyone know how to fix this issue or have any suggestions as to where to go for assistance?

By the way, I get the error message whether I close the document first and then close the program or close the program without closing the open document first... please help.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:11 AM
  • FINALLY!  A fix to my problem.  After many, many sessions with Microsoft support and in particular, after attempts to solve with "regular" support, I was referred to the Microsoft research team, it was determined the cause of the application crashes was Addins for Word and PowerPoint.

It took many sessions to zero in on the cause of the problem including at the direction of Microsoft support: starting my pc in safe mode and opening and closing the applications in safe mode, uninstalling and reinstalling Office Pro 2007, uninstalling and reinstalling printer drivers, starting the individual applications Word and PowerPoint in safe mode, uninstalling and reinstalling MS Service Pack SP1 (which took many hours) and other actions.  None of these actions solved the problem.

Microsoft research fianlly zeroed in on Addins.  In my case it was Addins: PDFMaker.OfficeAddin (Adobe Acrobat Pro) and BcmHistoryAddin.bcmconnect (Outlook Business Contact Manager).

To solve the issue it took a journey into the registry where after backing up these specific entries (Addins) to the desktop, I deleted the entire Addin folder in both Word and PowerPoint.   I then opened and closed the programs successfully, no application crashes. This proved the issue was with one of the Add ins but which one?

In order to isolate which addins where causing the app crashes, next I restored the registry entries (the one I backed up to my desktop) and then deleted individual add ins one at a time, opening and closing Word and Powerpoint after each deletion and thus was able to pinpoint the addins listed above.

Next via Control panel, Programs and Features, Uninstall/Change, I ran the the repair utility for Outlook and Adoble Acrobat (you'll be prompted fopr the the original install disk) restarted the computer, opened and closed Word and PowerPoint and voila everything works fine... no application crashes.

Note: if you don't know how to work inside the registry (regedit) get help! If you mess up your regsitry you can do serious damage to your computer.

But I'm happy to report that an absolutely annoying problem is finally solved.  I hope this helps.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:26 PM
  • I am having the same problem and I am afraid to go into the registry like you did. Will there be a download that can isolate and fix this problem???? I don't even have Adobe Acrobat on my computer - just reader.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 9:34 PM
  • My solution was different.  I worked on this problem for three days after upgrading to Vista Business, and finally found my answer on Infosysblogs; if your set your default printer to Windows XPS, Word will open.  Then I removed and added my printer back in.  Apparently Word (and Powerpoint) were looking for my default printer and didn't like the drivers.  Sounds silly, but it worked.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:27 PM
  • This seems to be working for me too! Thanks!!
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Congratulations bhunkus, after all the false leads with regards Addins, who would have guessed it was something a simple as a printer driver, obviously not Microsoft.

It worked for me, but for others they need to undertand that there is a sequence to when the change to the default printer is made.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:40 AM
  • Dell's website has updated drivers for their printers and Vista.  I have not had time to do it myself, but just wanted to let you all know they're there!  Apparently, you are supposed to uninstall the printer drivers before you upgrade to Vista.  Would have been nice to know a little sooner...

Just installed the new drivers and seems to be working!  Will let you know if I anything else pops up.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:40 AM
  • Thanks bhunkus

I just got back from Europe where I had used a different printer that was still set as the default printer. I have spent many hours on trying to figure out what the problem was and it turned out to be as easy as just switching default printer to my US one.

Thanks again!

Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:09 PM
  • I started having this problem with PowerPoint and Word after downloading the Vista Service Pack 1. Amazing that Microsoft can create a fix that creates a problem. I'm so not in love with Vista.

Todd
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:55 PM

Hey Bhunkus,

Not sure if I am speaking too early knowing Microsoft's ways...but I should say I thank you a bunch for saving my day. I am on a business visit to the US and my official laptop suddenly conked off with respect to MS Office 2007...I tried the usual diagnostics....which was mighty useless....*man...if they cannot decipher an error message from their code base...i pity the users...!!!*

then I downloaded.....couldnt complete download....waited for a week....got a backup disc shipped....repaired....reinstalled....with no change to my problem...

I was actually getting worried..as my deadline for proposal was nearing....and i finally did the *google thing* and landed up on this page...

and...your solution was spot on....my lappie was having a network printer as a default, deleted that...and voila I am able to open documents just like before...

Thanks a ton!!
    Rajesh
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Thanks for the solution. I did a New installation, not an upgrade and had the same experience after changing my default printer. Changed it back to Windows XPS and Word and PowerPoint work again.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:44 PM
  • I tried this and it worked when I tried opening one powerpoint document.  The next one failed to work.  My problem is with opening a powerpoint presentation that is uploaded as a hyperlink by my teachers on our online college organizer.  I push the open button and it always has the same message..."Microsoft Powerpoint has stopped working."  Safe mode never works either.  I had an old printer last year that I set as the default printer, but trashed it when it failed to work.  I recently set up a new printer on my computer.  I deleted the old printer that I had set as the default, and then set the default as the XPS.  This worked for the first one I opened, but failed after that.  Any suggestions?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Dear bhunkus,

Thank you very much for your brilliant solution. It just as easy as that. I was already thinking of re-formatting my computer. I have had this problem for a few months and I am so glad i bumped into your simple solution. It works so perfectly well. Thanks a lot bhunkus !!!!

Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Good stuff, bhunkus!  The Add-In changes to the registry are not the fix.  Making the XPS printer the default is the fix.  I was having this problem in Windows 7 so if you are running W7, this works too.  Saved me a wipe and reload of Windows!!  Thanks!!!!!!
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:56 PM